1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avatar 212 as a standalone with my NA650?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, Sep 27, 2008.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'm currently cabless, and my rattly Crate 15 watter isn't cutting it for me. I need to get a new cab fairly soon!

I've been perusing Classifieds for about a week, seeing some nice used cabs, considering many of them. Then a light bulb went off - a brand new Avatar!

The specs of the NEO cabs look sweet - light weight and excellent power handling. I prefer the 212 based on weight and my preference for the twelves, but I'm concerned about enough low end - many reviews say this is lacking.

Talk me into it. Or talk me out of it. I'm all ears. :help:

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get two (2) SB112s in 4 ohms each - thus allowing you to draw maximum power from your amp @ 2 ohms. Should be a great match for the Nemesis head... :bassist:

MM

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i heard they have oodles of low end jsut not muddy low end??

i also plan on buyin one soon.. but they cost about $850 for me :(

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Do just what this guy says. I used to run the same set-up with an Eden WT-405, which about the same as the NA-650 head. This rig will blow you away with low end and sheer power. I agree with him 100 percent!

5. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I love my neo 2x12 4ohm cab. Plenty of low end to run as a stand alone. I have a 410 neo avatar as well but I just run either or depending on my mood.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'd love to get two, but I have neither the need or the scratch.

I'll definitely get a 4 ohm, but I'm seeking one good standalone cab. Dannster, thanks for your standalone affirmation. What's the sonic differences between the 212 and 410, in your opinion, tonally and volume-wise?

7. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    My 2x12 Aguilar is a great standalone cab for what I do. (Loud blues, no death metal.) I don't regret not going neo - I find 70 lbs to be perfectly manageable with casters. I can't say how Avatar would compare, just saying the 2x12 configuration can be mighty fine.

I personally wouldn't run a 2 ohm load very often, even if the amp was supposedly rated for it.

8. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    212 is a little fuller, warmer and rounder tone wise. Probably not as loud as the 410. The 410 is definitely punchier.

Depending on your needs and wants you really can't go wrong with either one.

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Sounds like the 212 is the one. Anyone else have an opinion?

10. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Consider non-neo if the rev's are more favorable. Happy hunting!