1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tlinder, Aug 19, 2012.

1. tlinder

tlinder

Aug 28, 2009
    I dont know a whole lot about ohms and how they work, but I have a b200 head and b115 cab, I noticed my local music store has a avatar with 2 12s,I not familiar with this brand but price is right,would my b200 head be enough for 115 cab and 2 12 cab,would I just daisy chain them or use the two outputs on back of amp for each speaker?

2. tlinder

tlinder

Aug 28, 2009
    I was just saying yesterday that this b115 cab would be all I ever need,yeah right , just like any other bass nut, im already looking at a 2-12 cab to go with it.After playing drums with clay walker for years now I play with my kids band ,.and they put me on bass. yeah we will put dad the old nerd on bass,but I fell in love with the bass.my 11 year old son is heavy handed on the drums,and my 18 year old daughter plays a 200 watt raven amp so im trying to keep up with there volume.

3. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    tlinder,

your head is rated at 200W 4 Ohms.
    I believe your B115 is rated at 250W 8 Ohms.
    First, you need to make sure of the Ohm rating on the Avatar 2/12 cabinet. Hopefully it is 8 Ohms as well.
    If so, then you want to run the speakers in parallel, meaning you want to plug each cabinet into the two separate jacks on the back of your head.

The Avatar cabinet is built and sold on-line by Dave at Avatar speakers. You usually don't see them in retail stores, but this was obviously a trade-in.

The 2/12 cabinet is loaded with 2 Eminence Delta 12LF rated at 500W RMS or Delta Lite Neo speakers, rated at 250W RMS each.
    It also features a horn with a volume know on the back, but most turn them off.

I have a Kustom 1200 Groove Bass head, rated at 1200W at 4 Ohms.
    I purchased 2 of the Avatar 2/12 Neo cabinets (mainly because they only weigh 56lbs with the Neo's), but I got them in the 4 Ohm configuration so that I could get the max power from them.

I run the two cabinets in parallel, one from each speaker output jack, which gives them the max output.

I can tell you that I get other bassists, guitarists, and even drummers and singers that come up to me at shows and tell me how good my tone is.

The Avatar 2/12 is a rock solid and great sounding cabinet in my opinion.

Not sure what they want for it, but they sell new direct from Avatar for $389.00 + shipping.

Good luck!

4. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Bad idea to match a B115 cab and a 212 cab. Best thing to do is match two like cabs. Also make sure both cabs are 8 ohms so the two in parallel will be four ohms (thats what the B200 likes to see). The easiest thing to do right now is go out and buy another B115 cab and stack them. Connect the output (using a two conductor speaker wire...not guitar cord) of the B200 to the top speaker and using another two conductor speaker wire in the second jack on the top B115 to either jack on the bottom speaker. This will give you 200W into 2 - 15" speakers.

5. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    tlinder,

I know just what you are talking about.

I have been playing bass since 1971, and I always get a kick out of playing with loud guitarists and heavy hitting drummers.

With my current rig I can put cracks in concrete walls if I choose, but at my age my ears pay for it for days if I don't wear ear plugs.

:)

6. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    5port is right about matching speakers.
    Either use 2 15" cabinets, or 2 2/12 cabinets.
    If you use the 15 and the 2/12 cabinet together you will get a very low muddy tone.

Or scratch the 15 and use just the 2/12 cab. Gives you the best of both highs and lows.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I agree with the others about not mixing non-identical cabs.

Apart from that, be careful with that Avatar 212. The early ones weren't so hot. You should pull the drivers and check exactly what's in there. Also the early crossovers were problematic and should be upgraded.

8. tlinder

tlinder

Aug 28, 2009
    thanks guys I guess I will find another 115 cab,sounds good to me.

9. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    how do u tell if they 2 12 avatar has early 12's (what is printed on them?) and what kinds did they use besides the delta's from eminice i have heard about?
    i found one at a local music store.. also what is big deal about them mounted diagonally? PP

10. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    also wonder what problem is with running a 2 12 on top of a 15 cab?
    does this problem apply to running a 2 12 on top of a 4 10 as well?