Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osobass, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Just got my Avatar 212 Neo and took it to band practice to test it at volume. True to it's reputation it is loud and high quality. I am a bit concerned though, because it seems more boomy than the punchy sound I was expecting.

I'm driving the cab with a Fender MIA P and a Traynor YBA200 head. I found myself tweaking knobs all evening trying to get more presence at a reasonable volume. I had the tone full open on the P and the bright switch activated on the amp, but it didn't seem enough.

Should I have picked a sealed cab instead? Recommendations?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Did you boost the mids/upper mids? Also, what volume is the tweet at?
  3. Yes. I had the mids boosted. I had the horn mostly on 50%. The tweater may have a problem, because solo I could not for the life of me tell a difference between 100% and 0% tweater. Even by scratching a pick on the strings.

I'm going to play solo with the cab as much as possible tomorrow evening. I'll report back any additional findings.
  4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I have Avatar cabs, and a YBA 200. The Traynor puts out so much low end, I have to keep the bass knob almost off to prevent boom.

Not saying the Avatars have anything to do with it, but it does correlate to your post.
  5. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I have that head and cab as well. Its not you...it is a boomy combination that had me twisting knobs all night. Since then, I bought an ampeg 8x10 (sealed cab) and upgraded all the tubes-and stored the 212 at home. I love my tone now, but weve been playing in a huge room the last few months. Were fixing to start playing in some small bars in the near future...and the drummer is only going to bring his snare and hi-hat. Obviously, the 8x10 in this situation is extreme overkill, so the 212 is coming back out. Im beginning to wonder whats going to happen. Itll be pretty moderate volumes, but Im getting worried. Who makes a SEALED 212?
  6. a sealed 2x12 would be sweet! how about plugging the ports on the avatar?
  7. I sometimes stuff a towel into half of the shelf port of my B212 delta lf. It drops the tuning frequency and is effective at reducing the boom. This comes at a price of low end reduction but it works well.
  8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    2512s need about 4 cu ft each to operate properly. Measure the size of your cab and do the math: it's too small. Also, the original Deltalite 2512 has a porous dust cap that results in a weak midrange, exacerbating the problem. The new Deltalite II 2512 has a solid dustcap, and consequently much better midrange, but too late to do you any good if you have the old drivers, which you likely do if you bought you cab before, say, yesterday. Plugging the ports may help. That will cut the low bass response, but there's not much of that there anyway, and it will tame the excess response at 100 Hz that's causing the boom. Worth a try, anyway. Lowering the tuning frequency by doubling the length of the duct might work too.
  9. Hmmmm? I played a while tonight in a different room at medium volume. I was able to dial out more of the boom.

I'll have to try the towel trick. I could turn the bass eq back up to 12 o'clock and probably get back up to par on the low end.

The cab size comment has got my head spinning. Time to get comments direct from Dave @ Avatar.
  10. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    For what this is worth - I tried an Avatar 1X12 and loved it. Not boomy at all. I now have an Aguilar GS-112 that I really like, and it does have more low end than the Avatar, I don't know if *you* would consider that boomy or not. But I would have been happy with the Avatar 1X12. Just wondering if you have played through a 2X12 cab that you liked, or is this your first one. I'll through in that I have an Avatar 2X10 Delta that I also love. I pair this with the Aguilar and it sounds great, but either cab by itself also sounds great. The Aguilar is the ultimate for portability due to it's extremely small size and light weight.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My favorite sealed 212 is an Ear Candy cab. They sound really vintage to me and go well with tube heads. Do a google search for the website. Not overly expensive either.
  12. I would guess you have two problems:
    1.your tweeter or it's wiring is finished somehow.
    2. The boominess lows.
    Repairing the first one won't solve the boominess. But the cab will sound a lot better then.

Turning up the horn at the back of my Avatar 112 Neo makes a HUGE difference. Even with fingerstyle playing: double bass as wel as fretless and fretted.

My 112 sounds more tight then my 2 x 12" professional build Celestion cabs or my 4x12 Trace Elliot cabinet. So as soon as I can sell the last heavyweight one I will buy another Avatar or a Schroeder.
  13. Found them at earcandycabs.com. Seems similar to Avatar in looks and pricing, but allowing for more customization. Anyone have experience with these?