Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, Mar 6, 2003.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Okay, I ordered a 210 from Dave and need to know which cab to put under it. I'm looking for the most low-end with the possibility of using it as a standalone. Poundage is a factor. Dave sez the weights are more like 65# for the 115 and 70# for the 212. (even though the website shows 60 and 75)

Thanks, Alan

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you also want to use it as a stand-alone cab, I would suggest the 2x12, but that's just me. [Well, actually I would get the 1x15 and always haul both cabs (1x15 + 2x10).] [If you don't play a 5 string and have adequate eq'ing available, the 2x10 might do as a stand-alone cab.]

It really depends on what type of sound you are after.

I have heard good things about all three cabs ('cept the nx10s don't have much low bass).

3. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I just got my B210 from Dave almost two weeks ago. I'm using a 115 cab on the bottom. I'm playing a Cirrus 5 string through this configuration and I couldn't be happier. It's able to keep up with 3 Mesa 412's and an aggressive drummer.

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the 2X12!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Bazz-

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd strongly consider the B115H. It has a tweeter (with level control) for highs if you're using it by itself.

Avatar offers two different B212s...one with Delta 12LFs available in either 4 or 8 ohms...and one with Kappas in 4 ohms only. Depending on the minimum impedance rating of your amp and the impedance of your B210 (did you get a 4 or 8 ohm cabinet?) you might be locked in to a Delta B212 which would be a little less efficient (according to the specs that Eminence publishes for their loudspeakers.) But in practice, I don't know if it would really make a difference.

According to the website, the Delta cab is deeper and the Kappa cab is punchier (in response).

I have a B112 with a Kappa and I find that I really need to use it with my C15 for the low end response that I'm looking for. I just ordered a couple of Delta 12LFs from Dave to play with, so I'll see how those work out in a 1x12 situation.

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the responses. Which cab would move the most air? I rarely play thru a PA so I'm looking for the one with the most impact.

Alan

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Do a search for the B212...I believe that there are some good comments there.

As Dave...I'm confident that he'll give you some ideas (but I believe that he's a guitarist, not a bassist).

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    As of yesterday, I am an owner of both the B115 and the B212 (delta).

I got the B115 a month ago and loved it, so I knew I wanted another Avatar cab. But what to get?

Most people complement a 15 with either a 210 or a 410. But I really love low end response and I heard that Avatar cabs are tuned a little high. So to compensate, I just got the 212. I haven't had a chance to use it yet with the 15. I will probably post something when I've tried it.

In the far future I plan to get a 210 so that way I will have 10's, 12's, and a 15 in my rig. I think this will be the best speaker configuration!!!!!

9. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey Schwinn, please let us know what you think. You're the only one out there so far with both of those cabs. I'm leaning toward the 12s at this time but would love to hear an AB comparison of the two.

Alan

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, Schwinn, I'd love to hear your comments once you've used them together!
    -Bazz-

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The next time my band practices will be Tuesday or Thursday. I'll use both then.

12. For a stand alone the 212 would move more air and have better midrange than the 115. I bought a couple of Kappa 12s and a Foster tweeter from Dave and put them in a SWR 212 cab before he came out with his 212.It's tuned different than the Avatar but I'm sure it sounds close.It gets very smooth low end with a very little rolloff on the B string.It cuts through guitars pretty well,not as well as my 210XLT but it's smoother and louder.I had a SWR Son of Bertha 115 and the 212 definitely works better than that for stand alone.The only thing I don't like is the weight but it is still lighter then a 412.The Delta would be a little lighter.

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I used both my new B212(delta) and my B115 last night at band practice. The low end with this setup was massive!!! The B212 is loud, handles the low B well and has that Avatar punch. If you are looking for a stand-alone cab I like the B212 better (like Blues Bass said) than the B115 for this purpose. But, if you are going to pair a 210 with another cab, tallboybass, you could go either way really. I believe your 210 would sound good with either the B212 or the B115.

But damn Murphy's law!!!! Even though I loved the tone of the B212, I heard some weird flapping noise. Where was it coming from??? That's right, a small area of the perimeter of one speaker was making a "flapping" sound. When I looked closer, I could see this area moving abnormally more than the other area of the speaker. I think it may be a defect. Already shot Dave an email. I hope he can send me a replacement.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks for the review. Sorry about the problems...that stinks...

Don't worry though, Dave will take very good care of you.

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I just wanted to follow-up on my previous post...

There was nothing wrong with the speaker. I took off the grill and tightened everything up and it sounds fine. The noise was caused by a loose screw! I am really happy nothing was wrong :)

16. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Schwinn, which cab produced the most bottom? Which was loudest? Was there a big difference in weight?

Thanks for helping us all out,
    Alan

17. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    let's see

weight...the B212 felt heavier to me. They're the same dimensions.

loudness...hmm...I can't tell a difference. There probably is a difference, but I just can't hear it.

bottom...The delta B212 puts out plenty of bottom. The delta speakers have a deep smooth tone. They go as deep as the B115 but have a little more added punch (more defined).

The next time we practice I'll try to pay more attention to which cab is louder. Later!

18. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I got a 212 yesterday off of Dave's auction on Ebay. $277 + shipping! Thanks to all for the input.

Alan

19. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    dangit...stop talking about how great the 2x12 is...I'm just now getting over speaker cab GAS and you guys are not helping ONE bit!;)

seriously...sounds like you can't lose with either one: 2x12 with 1x15 or 2x10. Either way you'll need a 2000watt amp to drive all that stuff:D just tie down all your stuff so it doesn't get blown out the window...

20. Which would sound better under a 410? (avatar BTW)