Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rat, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Avatar 212

33 vote(s)
    94.3%
  2. Avatar410

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers

I’m still narrowing down My Bass Rig and since Avatar is a mail order company I could use some advice from those who own them..

What do ya think will work for me? I play Blues to Metal ….still haven’t found a Amp yet…

Thinking of getting a 4ohm cab to run what ever head I get at full power.. less to lug around

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've owned and own many Avatar cabs (owned in the past, 4x10 and 1x15 and still own 1x12 (compact), 1x12 SB low freq, and a 2x10. The 12's are much more versatile and can handle a low B where the 10's cannot. The 10 are punchie though, really cut thru the mix.

Of the two, if I had to pick one, it would be the 2x12 for sure. I have the best of both worlds and use a SB112 on bottom and B210 on top. Got my low B and mid punch in one light weight, easy to transport package!

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have both. Get both if your playing blues and metal...that's what I play. However...with limited budget in mind...after talking with Dave of Avatar and other TBr's....I got the 212 first. It is their best sounding standalone cab. Bottom of a 15 but the punch of tens. I eventualy got the 410 and have so much low mid now its sick. If ever I just need one cab the 212 will be going with me. Look into used from fellow TBr's also...a great rig can be had cheap here!

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    well most importantly what kind of sound are you after? the 12's will have deeper and warmer lows. great for smooth groove bass or slap. the 10's will have a tighter and more focused sound and cut thru the mix with more mid range. the 2x12's will weigh a bit less and be a bit more compact. #1 on your list should be sound though. just my 2 cents. :smug:

5. The 212 is great for all around playing, it's loud, punchy, and has great low end.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I love my 212. That sucker's seriously loud, and seriously toneful! Put good casters on it, though- it helps to have a cart to caryy your other stuff on (like your amp head, cord bag, mic stand, etc.) I find that the majority of the time, I'm having to turn down the lows and low mids a bit, it's that good. It's not a Bergantino HT212, but is a serious pro cabinet nonetheless.

7. nspbass

nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    I've had the B212 for a couple of months now and it's absolutely fantastic. I'm powering it with an Ashdown MAG300, which sounds great. Just thought I'd throw that in there if you're looking for a head, too. If I could afford it, I'd have another B212 and MAG300, just for the sake of being able to be ridiculously loud, because just one of each blows my guitar players and drummer away on a weekly basis.

nspbass

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    My rig as of lately is absolutely smokin...I've been able to score a couple of new pedals and more importantly a Lakland 55-01. So smokin that the police were called out to practice last Friday....oops.

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I don't have the 4X10 but i do have a 2X10 and the 2X12. After owning the 2X12 for several months now-i am contemplating selling off my B210 delta and my B115H. If i sold them off-i'd probably either buy another 2X12 or buy a 1X12 so that i could have a "small" rig. God that's sad.....my idea of a small rig is a 6 space rack plus a cab.

STuff that has meaning beyond my rambling......

The B212 is easily the best standalone cab Avatar makes that i have played. More lows than the 15, yet none of the boom, the crisp highs of the 10s without the harshness [ok-to my ears {the catch-i've only played 15s before playing that 2X10}]. This cab will stay with me for a looonnnnnnnnnnngggggg time. FWIW, i'm powering it with a Carvin DCM2000-i either bridge it at 4 ohms [my B212 is a 4 ohm cab], or run it off of one side. Definately has a great sound. I rarely need to turn up my volume past 1/4 power. :D

that's all