1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Aug 31, 2008.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I run a GK 700rbII thru an Avatar B212 neo 8ohm and at that ohmage is 320 watts max. I know that if I add a 112-8ohm , which is rated for 250 watts, it will get half of 480 watts. Is this a good idea or will it be too unbalanced for the amp or 112? I am thinking of doing this to gain flexibility of :
    a. using just the 112 for small gigs
    B. using just the 212 for most gigs
    c. using both for large gigs

I had a 210 , which alot of people love, at one time, but i really like the 12's for classic rock, and I play w/ a pick all the time.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Go for the 210.

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I had a 210, didnt like it.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Well you could always do the 212 and have a 412 setup.

Knowing how loud the 212 I have is please don't fire it up when I am around :)

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    From what I've read around here and depending on what you're looking for, you might want to make sure it is a neo cab. Some of the older ones had delta drivers that don't seem to handle lower frequencies as well as the newer neos.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I think the original idea is just fine...

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Thank you Alex for addressing the original question. This thread was going sideways in a hurry. Any other comments about the original question?

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I think the original idea is pretty good. I used to run a Avatar 2X12 4ohm [older cab-before they had the neos] fed by a Carvin DCM2000-the amp put out 2000 @ 4 ohms bridged or i think 750/per side at 4 ohms. I had plenty of power. I rarely ever turned up to half power. Having the 2 would give you a lot of versatility. At one point, I owned 3 Avatar Cabs-a 2X10, 1X15, and 2X12. Most of the time I just ran the 2X12 on rare occasion i'd go 2X12 + another, for giggles-i'd run all 3.

9. Your idea will work just fine. It might not be ideal on paper but it will work. Go for it! :hyper:

10. Robert Sjea

Robert Sjea

Mar 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    Sorry for distracting the thread from the original question. I've got similar issues to figure out.