Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KPJ, Nov 16, 2004.

1. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I'm getting a great deal on a second-hand Avatar B212 and wanted to get some advice on how to integrate it into my rig.

First some info about my gigs and tone taste... I am playing New Country in main gig and occaisionally do classic rock and blues pick up gigs. I go direct through a SABDDI on the country gig and use my stack or some combination of it on my other gigs. My set up is bass-compressor-OD-SABDDI-Sunn Coliseum Slave-speakers. The tone I prefer is heavy on the lows and low mids, not much high end, just enough for definition.

My question, to people who have either an Avatar B212 or equivalent, which of my other two cabinets would be the best to pair it with to get my type of sound. I currently have a Hartke XL410 and a Joe's w/ an EV. Should I pair the Avatar with the 410 or with the 115? It is my understanding from reading hear on Talkbass and on Avatar's website that the 212 gives a good low response and can replace a 115. Or would the 212 be a good replacement for the 410? (Iknow it would be lighter!)

Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks in advance!

2. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I would pair the 212 with the 15. I used to have an Avatar B212 and it's a great stand alone cab, yet adding the 15 would give some of that low end that you mentioned.

With the tone that you say you are after, I'm surprised you have the Hartke 410 (unless it has the paper drivers). All the aluminum driver-equipped Hartkes that I have played have been very bright and treble happy--not the low and low mids that you mentioned.

Good luck finding your tone.

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    My Hartke 410 is the aluminum cone one, it does not have a tweeter, and it is not as bright as I thought it would have been, but it could be less bright ;) ! That's one of the reasons why I want o get the Avatar. I am leaning toward the 212 & 115, but still wouldn't mind hearing other input.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My Avatar B212s sounded a lot more like 15s than like 10s (aka Avatar B210s).

If you want heavy, heavy on the lows, use your 15 otherwise the 212 by itself should suffice...

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I agree with these gentlemen, the 15 will pump the low mids you want better than the Hartke. Just my opinion having never played your gear.