Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krovx, Mar 11, 2003.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Ok I am a pretty big guy so size, weight, and price are not an issue. My main concern is sound quality and ability to fill the room. I know the 4x10 will move more air but if its not significantly more than the 2x10 i would rather save and go with the 2x10. How would you compare? How is the bass response on either of these cabs? I am getting these in 4 ohms so I can get the total 350 watts out of my Ampeg B2 head. I am getting rid of my Ampeg BSE 115T which is only 8 ohms to do so. With college next hear i wont have room for the two 8 ohm cabs I wanted. Thanks in advance!
    :bassist:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A lot has been written here about Avatars...have you tried a search?

I don't own Avatars with 10s (I have a B112 and a C15) but I understand that they both sound great but I'm sure that the low end booty from the 410 would be much better. The cabinets are tuned pretty high...as you can learn from Dave's web site.

I'd recommend that you get an 8 ohm cabinet. The B2 doesn't put out twice as much power at 4 ohms as it does at 8 so you may not even hear the difference. Plus by using an 8 ohm cabinet you'll still have the option of adding another.

No room in the dorm...just stack 'em up!!!!

Have fun!!!

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would definitely go with the 4x10. Someone recently said, and I agree, that a 2x10 is at its best when sitting on top of another cabinet (usually a 15). Compared to many here, I'm pretty fanatical about wanting as much speaker as possible (I use two 4x10 cabs for gigs), but I'm sure most would agree that a single 4x10 will get you through almost anything, wheras a 2x10 will have its limits.

My b410 does not have a lot of low end. It's still a great cab for the money because it's got more character and punch than other moderately priced cabs that I've tried. The b210 isn't going to be significantly different in that regard.

Hope that helps! :)

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey BillyB - your name was dropped in this thread because someone was contemplating your exact speaker setup. They'd prolly appreciate your thoughts. ;)

5. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    My Ampeg head is 200 watts at 8 ohms, and 350 watts at 4 ohms. I wont have the transportation for two cabs, and I am also a guitar player, so I have a ton of gear heading to college already. It looks like the 4x10 is being favored. I like the sound of GnR bass with the sort of twangy mids, do 10's do that better than a 15"? :)

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, and the b410 Avatar cab is well-voiced for that kind of sound :)

7. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Sounds great man, Just want to sell my Ampeg cab to get the Avatar. More Power! HHAHAHA *Tim Taylor laugh insert here* :bassist:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That was probably me! ANd I usually get attacked for saying it. But the number of attacks is getting smaller and less ferocious. Hopefully that means people are starting to see it my way.

I'd only used a 2x10 on it's own if I was playing quiet gigs. As soon as you add a drum kit into the equation, look at 4x10's for sure.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    It does give it a much deeper sound. I prefer to use my 115 below the 210 but sometimes the stage is too small.

10. I'd go with the 4x10 if you want a 4 ohm cab. With an 8 ohm, atleast you can add. I think that a 2x10 will get you past just about any jazz gig with 350 watts, my 120 watt 2x12 combo does. And with 350 watts, you'll get better tone at louder volumes. IF you decide to get a 2x10, it would be silly to get a 4 ohm cab. Although you'd be able to get more power into it, its still a rig for quite smaller venues...

I'm saving for the 2x10 myself, as I just want more tone than my combo will allow me. It'll get more power if I run it with a hartke 3500 head 240 watts at 8 ohms, and I can always add a 4x10, 12 inch, 15 or another 2x10 if its an 8 ohmer.

11. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Just waiting to pool the money in to order the avatar :)