Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    it looks great, and from hearing what people say about the 15 and 4x10 it will sound great.

will it go good with a SWR Wrokingman's 1x15T?

later, im gonna get a Yamaha SW1x18 sub.... will it sound good with this?

i hope so. this is almost too good to be true.

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well you know the ols saying if it is to good to be true it probaly isn't true.
    well the person swho wrote that apperantly has never heard of avatar speakers! they are awsome.
    the main guy dave is really nice and helpful.
    what ever you get from them is great. i don't know where he makes his money!

steve

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have an Avatar 2x10 (along with my Avatar 4x10 and 1x15). The 2x10 is very punchie!! I really like it a lot. I'm starting to wonder id I even need my 4x10 anymore.....

4. The Avatar B210 uses a pair of Eminence Delta 10 drivers.

Here is the plot for this driver in the volume used by the Avatar cabinet. The tuning is assumed at 41 Hz. The optimum tuning for this driver is 75 hz, which is far too high for electric bass.

Link to WinISD Plot of Avatar B210

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    bgavin--
    Would you say the Delta is more or less suited to bass than the 10" that Carvin uses?

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Not sure about what bgavin came up with but I fired it up with my bud's 5 string the other day and the 2x10 had no issue cranking out all the notes on his bass (both high and low) at high volumes. Sounded good to him and I...

7. They are almost identical.

8. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Bgavin,
    We're talking about sound! Use your ears and not your eyes looking at some plot from some program you downloaded for free off the internet! And yes, I do have WINISD and it is not perfect.

The only negative comments I have ever heard/read about Avatar came from skeptical people who have never played an Avatar cab thinking something that cost $199 cannot possibly be as good as something that cost $600. (or someone looking at some plot...using their eyes instead of their ears). I don't know about you but a $400 savings on types equipment that normally cost around $600 is enough to get me to try it out for myself and create my own opinions. Especially if it has a 14 day return guarantee. But if you insist on buying the $600 cab without giving the Avatar a try...well...there is this concept about cleaning up the human gene pool.....

I have the Avatar B115 and if the same attention to sound reproduction that is built into my cab is also built into the 2x10, you can't go wrong!

9. Lovin Bass, try the decaf coffee...

:D

The question asked was "...more or less suited to bass". The question was not about any sound difference.

WinISD is just a tool, and yes it has some plotting problems. It it not my tool of choice. If you care to educate yourself and take a look, all the electrical parameters between the Carvin PS10 and the Eminence Delta are virtually identical.

My answer was "They are almost identical." Personally, I think neither of them is particularly well suited for bass. And that includes an ear audition.

10. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    BGavin:

My point is to not base your opinions only on a WINISD plot. I do apologize for my harshness earlier but if you have not heard the equipment you are commenting on, then your opinion based only on the WINISD is not that useful to the person asking the questions and can be misleading. Try out the Avatar cabs and you will realize that the WINISD can be thrown out the window.

11. One cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear, nor can one stuff Dolly Parton into a "B". There is nothing Avatar can do to alter the laws of physics to make a speaker more than it is.

There are apparently many bassists out there who have actually never heard accurate reproduction of a low B or low E fundamental. Most are hearing the 2nd harmonic and thinking this is it. Well, it isn't. There is another whole octave below the 2nd harmonic that is poorly reproduced, or not at all, on many cabs.

The Carvin series is classic for doing this. They have no bottom octave because the driver and box combination just won't do it. I've played plenty of Carvin 10s and know first hand what they don't have in the bottom end. The Carvin and Delta drivers are 99 44/100% identical.

As for WinISD, it is just an engineering tool. I've built plenty of cabs and modeled the drivers with tools other than WinISD. On the test bench, they produce results pretty close to the modeling software projections. I don't throw any tools out the window unless they are defective.

The Avatar are in the same realm as the Flite cabs: both use off-the-shelf Eminence drivers placed into too-small cabinets. This gives a pronounced hump in the mid-bass that the general consumer-public interprets as "big" bass. But.. if you hang a meter in front of it, and actually measure it, things are different.

If your ears like it, that is all that matters.

12. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

This is a question for bgavin and others who take into account engineering parameters when examing cabinets and sound reproduction.

It should be noted that I have an Avatar 210 that I'm basically satisfied with as it suits my purposes just fine as I play in a 3-piece all-originals "brit-pop" band that generally looks to me for a punchy tone that cuts through and carries the melody as well as rythym. As a musician in New York City, I have also had to make the trade-off of size vs. mobility as I sold my car when I moved here. I also downsized from an Ampeg SVT-410DL to the Avatar 210. If there were not issues about mobility and size, of course I would have kept the 410.

Bgavin, which stand-alone 210 cabinets do you find best at low B and E reproduction, and if you could categorize your response to those cabinets that are $500 and less and those above, that would be hugely appreciated.

PS - has anyone tried the Ampeg Portabass series and what do they think of them? I apologize for straying from the topic at hand.

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    what are the best affordable cabs then. i love my peaveys but it sounds like maybe my ears are being fooled.

14. You have to go with your ears first. If you like what you hear, that is all there is.

My gig producer just loves Carvin RL210 cabs and hates the sound of my subs. He is always wonking about me needing to get my rig to sound like his buddy's RL210.

My gig producer is a horn player.

The Acme B2 is probably the very best at low B/low E. This goes hand-in-hand with them being very inefficient. Look at the Edens and Eden Nemesis in 2x10.

Personally, I'd like to own a D410-XST.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Interesting, but not too suprising, plot bgavin! Actually looks to me almost like the classic SVT response - just roll off before any of the bass fundamentals! If it were sealed that would be it. Clearly there's enough of the "telephone" effect that it can still sound "good" to people. And if you EQ heavily it can still shake the floor (at least with the SVT, given the sheer driver area).

It also looks about like the curve for the Carvin 2x10 when they used to show it (albeit very tiny and vague) in their catalogs. The 10s they use arent' terribly beefy. I picked up a Carvin 4x10 the other day, and it was the same if not lighter than my Peavey 210TX! (both about the same vintage, mid-90s).