SOLD Avatar 2x12 Neo Cab in Vintage Tweed

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by sonicblue62, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Price:
    $275
    United States
    Light weight, hefty tone! This beautiful, powerful, and low-end-rich cab has served me well for nearly 10 years. Although I've gigged with it a few times, it has mostly been used for practice in my music room. It sounds great with every amp I've tried (Mesa, Aguilar, Ashdown, Fender). It has spent the last few years underneath my 70s Ampeg V4. Low B on my Lakland 55-94 as well as my G&L L2500 reproduces with clarity and authority. I'm very happy with the sound and durability, but I'm getting too many cabinets and it's time to make room. The attention to detail is nice in the vintage appointments (tweed, oxblood grill cloth, Fender-ish logo and metal corners). I believe these cabs are made to handle 500 watts. This one only weighs 55 lbs, and is pretty easy to haul with the sturdy side handles. Has a few rubber foot marks from the Ampeg on top, and some black scuff marks on the left side,but no tears in the tolex. I'll throw in a nice 1/4" speaker cable if you can use it, too. I like that this has 1/4" as well as Speakon connectors for old and new amps. $275 shipped conus. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Delta, delta lite or kappa lite loaded ?

3. Honestly, I do not know. I bought it from the original owner several years ago, and that info was never passed on. Would it indicate that somewhere on the cab itself?

4. 4Mal

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I think you would have to pull a driver.

5. I'm not sure if I'm qualified to do that. :)
    Is it just a matter of undoing a few screws, I might attempt it later.

6. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Yep, take off the grill and just unscrew the screws holding in the driver.

Or you may be able to remove the connector plate and look through the back at the driver

7. Thank you. Maybe I'll try that after work today.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  8. 4Mal

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Try the control plate first... If the magnet is large (like half the diameter of the speaker) and flat - those would be the Delta LF. If it is a finned thing it's a neo of some sort. In that case to know, you'd have to pull a driver.

Yes it is a matter of pulling 6 or 8 screws. Best done with a power driver. When reinstalling you'll want to twist the speaker about 1/4 inch so the screws bite into new wood. Also, be careful when reinstalling. Don't put a ton of pressure on the screw. Just enough to get it to bite... Many screws have been put through speaker cones when excess pressure caused the screw to jump and come down in extactly the wrong spot. Overall, it's easy. Just be careful.

MTN.bass72 and sonicblue62 like this.
  9. Looks like a neo of some sort. Still not sure if I want to risk a screw through the cone to remove a driver.

Attached Files:

10. 4Mal

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There were 2 generations of 12" neo drivers used in that cab. The first was a stock 2512, the second a custom version - I expect that is the one you linked to... The second generation was darker sounding and the 2x12 cab using them had a lot more 'sonic heft'. Definately a better fit for my ears...

11. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    275 shipped???? Wow. That's a bargain . Those cabs are awesome. I took an avatar 212 on the road for over a year. It's a beast and lightweight!
    I want it but my wife would kill me. Great great cab for the money.

sonicblue62 likes this.