1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schecter5string, May 23, 2011.

1. My band is planning on playing shows by the end of summer, so I have been looking into upgrading my cab(Hartke 2200 pro 4ohm) We play mostly modern rock.

My current set-up:
    Schecter stiletto studio 5
    Hartke HA 3500
    Hartke 2200 pro
    Sansamp bass driver DI

I have been looking into the Avatar 2x12 neo:
    B212 Neo

I would like to buy two, one now and one later. I would stack them vertically, and buy used if I can find them.

Here are the questions:

Does this sound like a good set-up?

Can I turn the top one upside down?(I think it would look better)

Should I nix the 2x12 idea and go with a 410?

Thank for you input in advance.

I just check GC used gear, looks like the run about $200-$250 used, well within my budget!

2. sounds good to me.

Stacking upside down won't really accomplish anything, other than putting the tweeters both in a similar plane. They won't be vertically aligned though. Also, the woofers will be in the same position either way.

Now if the two baffles were mirror images, your tweeters would be vertically aligned, as well as two of the woofers.

3. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I would just put them next to each other. I think the rig would look funny (tall and narrow). I mean I have one Avatar 2-12 so I am not talking out my @$$. As far 4-10 vs2-12...tough call. I use my Avatar 2-12 in my band (garage rock)for most of our shows but mine is 4 ohms...I also have a 4-10 and 1-15 by Ashdown at my disposal as well. I like the Avatar a lot, it is still punchy and rumbles too. I would say go for it.

4. Generally the worst possible way to configure two cabs. Dispersion suffers when drivers are aligned on the same horizontal plane, although these aren't as bad as two drivers jammed right up next to each other.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    When I use/need both, I stack my two Genz Benz Neox 212T cabs vertically, 4x12's in array.

May look a little funny to someone but sounds wicked-scary loud n good to me. :bassist:

6. This is what I was hoping to hear!! My drummer would use my Hartke 2200 pro for a stool if he could. If I had two 8 ohm cabs I could turn the bottom one in the direction for the drummer and the top one would all mine, and since I am short it would be right about ear level! Some may say :rollno: but I'm thinking more on the lines of :eek: and on the nights I can't get my tube happy guitarist to turn down I can look at him and go :spit: ha ha

7. This will be the first time I have ever said a negative thing about Avatar cabs but the 2x12 is the weakest cab in there line up in my opinion.
    The Avatar 4x10,2x10 and 1x12 are good cabs (great for the money!).

8. I really liked my Avatar 2x12 cab. I wish I still had it. I would stack them on their side so the ports form a vertical collumn. There is no sound advantage to doing that but it looks best to me. BTW don't EVER put your cabs side to side as suggested earlier. You will lose all of your mids and treble AND the sound will be radically different in EVERY position that you and everyone else stand in. Cabs are much more predictable when stacked vertically.