Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockapede, Sep 4, 2004.

1. I am in need of a cab. I play a five string so I need decent lows, but I also need volume. Power will be a QSC RMX 1450. The style of music I generally play is rock, and I have no experience with Avatar cabs, so any advice is appreciated. Which do you like better?
  2. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    I have no Avatar experience either, but I have spent a lot of time recently trying cabs. I play a five also, and like a very deep, powerful low end. First, no matter the cab, plenty of power---headroom---is necessary for the low end; those low notes require a lot of energy to reproduce loudly without clipping. I have tried several 4X10's, including Aguilar, Mesa Boogie, Eden (the XLT; I could not locate an XST), and SWR; 10's just don't like that low B in my experience. I also tried three configurations of Schroeder; the 1212 had a very smooth tone and held the low B reasonably well, but not at the volume I wanted. If you don't want a low B that will loosen your fillings, the Schroeders all sounded great. I have been using Eden CX212's, which are great on the low end; but they have a coaxial tweeter with no level control. Also, this Eden model is no longer made. I found a Genz-Benz NEOX212 and was very impressed; the lows were very nearly as strong as the Eden, they are very smooth, clear, and focused higher in the spectrum, and have an adjustable horn. This cab has built in rear wheels---tilt-back style---and weighs 68 lbs. The one I have is four ohms, and is rated at 600 watts; with the 1450 watts that my Crest can pump into one channel at four ohms, this little cabinet roars. I much prefer its low end to a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 115, and it is considerably louder at the same level of power. That said, I am going to try an AccuGroove Bill Dickens Signature 2X12; if it's as great as advertised, I will be in bass heaven---though quite a bit poorer.
    I hope this helps. Another suggestion---if you can find an SWR Silverado Special, the 2X12 that is, also discontinued, it is great to a moderately loud volume; the amp clips long before the speakers are overdriven. I will be very interested to find out your experiences in shopping, especially if you compare the Avatars to any of the above. And one I left out, I tried the Aguilar 2X12; in my opinion, the Genz-Benz is way ahead of it---much more low end power.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If your definately going Avatar... I would get an 8ohm 212 for now... and add a 115 to it later. A 212 is just a superb standalone cab compared to a 410 in my opinion.... plain an simple.

If your really putting a lot of thought to your low B... then maybe a Schroeder would do you well. They seem to have the only 410 that can act as a true full-stack type of cab. The 1212 or 21012 might even suit you well.