Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by craigb, Feb 12, 2003.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

I'm moving to a rack & cabs rig and have already picked up a single Avatar B112. I like it. It seems to have enough low end for me (I'm not sure what that says about me, exactly).

my signal chain:
    G&L L2000->Sansamp RBI->QSC RMX 850->Avatar B112

So I want to add another cab to this one. I'm debating internally between another B112 and a C15. I see plusses and minusses to both ways:

+ backup tweeter in case on goes (I turn a single tweeter down anyway)
    + identical cabs so can use both on either side of the stage tilted back towards the band for monitoring
    - will the C15 add lows I don't know I'm missing?

+ add more lows to the sound?
    + add a different flavor to the sound?
    - not "identical" cabs any more

I guess I'm just looking for input on the benefits/drawbacks of other people's experience with 2 1x12s or a 1x12 and 1x15 setup.

I'm pretty much a 4-stringer (with hipshot for drop-D) but have toyed with the idea of stringing up a bass DGCF with a hipshot to drop to C and occasionally string up a bass BEAD. I have not had a chance to try out the B112 with anything lower than a dropped D at this point in time.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you and me both man. we're in the same predicament. i know there are a few people on here who have a B112+c15 rig, but i'd be interested to know if anyone has done a double b112 yet.

but he does have a nice return policy, so we could always just get one and return it if it's not what we want :meh:
  3. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I, too, have wondered the same thing. In fact, I have been thinking of doing the exact same rig with the RBI & the RMX850.

I have never really liked the 15" sound by itself, but coupled with a 12" might be nice. If not I will also go with the 2 B112. I already have one.

I will be watching this thread to see what develops.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I use a B112/C15 and love it. I'm guessing that you'd get more low end with the C15 than adding another 12. Plus, they complement each other tonally.

I used to own two C15s but sold my spare to Gabu after getting my B112. The B112/C15 combo sounds far better (to my ears) than the C15/C15 pairing.

I've never split them up on opposite sides of the stage but if I found the need to, I still think that I'd go with B112/C15 because they compliment each other so well.

If you're really not sure, order both and experiement. You'll just have to pay for shipping the unwanted cabinet twice...

Have fun!!!
  5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I found with a 5 string that the B string with EQ boost was more than the B112 could handle; I don't think 2 would do any better.

Don't get me wrong- I like the cabinet; it's inexpensive, well made, and has a nice sound, but it only has a nice sound above about 100hz IMO.

My plan is to biamp it and use it where it excels, with subs underneath. In fact, (edited) I just finished my subs and tried them at 100 and 200hz; very nice indeed. I haven't had a chance to put real power into them, but at quiet volumes they sound excellent for lows with a B112 on top where it can really perform. Total investment for 2 subs: around $250. I'm guessing my RMX-1450 will need to push about 500w at 2 ohms to keep up with a single B112- there is no free lunch.