Avatar 410 NEO VS Amper PR-410 HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jabjibbin, Jan 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jabjibbin

Jabjibbin

Mar 1, 2017
    I'm currently running an Avatar 410 Neo cabinet from my SWR Mo Bass & Line 6 XT Pro. A variety of SDGR SR-500's through 800's, 4 and 5 string. And a Brian Moore I5.

My style is metal funk, Mudvayne sound is what im trying to get.

I cant seem to dial in the Avatar to produce the grumble I want, it seems very tinny to me. Even though its light, it plays light if you know what I mean.

I have a chance to get a like new PR-410 for 225 delivered. I plan on adding an 18 or 15 to either of the 410 cabs in the near future. I know the Ampeg is heavy as 2 of the Avatar, but I dont do a lot of moving, I mostly just love to annoy my neighborhood.

What recommendations do you guys with experience have to help me get the sound I need. Will the Ampeg pick up where the Avatar seems to leave off? Is it worth the 225?

2. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I don't have a recommendation specifically, but I was just thinking "Man, remember 10 years ago on TB when Avatar Cabinets were on par with SX Basses as far as cult status?" I had an Avatar 4x10, it was beautiful, but like you, I found that it didn't delivered the tone I wanted. I found the same with other Neo cabs and went back to ceramic magnets.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    My PR410HLF is anything but light on low end.

That's a great price on that.

I bet $5 that you'll be looking for an HPF before too long.

Buy it.

4. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    If the weight doesn’t scare you, it’s got a lot of bottom end. Not as well defined as it could be, but a lot of it. I doubt that you could do better for that price.
    And did I mention that they’re heavy?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022