1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avatar 410 - stressed drivers???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaginwagin, Aug 4, 2012.

1. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Hi guys,

Im on a serious budget but looking to start building a stack. I found an avatar 410 that the guy says has stressed drivers. He said they still work pretty good and would be fine at moderate levels with a four string.

What do you think? Is it worth 100 bucks? Avatar quoted me 350 plus shipping for replacements. I can't afford that. Maybe something cheaper is available?

Thanks for any and all advice!

:bassist:

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    $350 is a good deal for replacement speakers. But I think if your going to buy the cabinet for $100 and put $350 into speaker for it, your already over the price of a new avatar B410 (with celestions) which is on special right now for $430. Hope that helps put things into perspective.

3. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Avatar has Celestion tf1020 16 ohm 200 watts for $39 plus $35 shipping for 4. This would give you a 4 or 16 ohm cab
    Scratch and dent

4. Those speakers have been discussed here before. They are really PA mid speakers, not really suitable for bass use.

To the OP - My take on "stressed speakers" is that they are probably already damaged due to cone creasing from over excursion. They will sound "OK" at ow volumes, but the minute you throw some power at them, fart out city.

I would pass.

5. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah, definitely not gonna put 3-400 into a 100 box...

35 for four sounds awesome!

6. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    D'oh!!! Bummer I kinda figured....

I guess ill keep looking for that deal of a lifetime...:rollno:

7. Four of these would probably work pretty well in that cabinet . The cones have a good xmas or cone travel and handle decent power . Unlike the Celestions these are real bass speakers and still have decent mids . They have heavy magnets so the cabinet would not be light but it would for sure get loud .
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-030