Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpiralEyes123, Jan 4, 2004.

1. I think we have all established that the Avatar speakers are great cabs for the price. I don't want to sound like an idiot but if I were to buy two 4x10 cabs at 8 Ohms, that would = an 8x10 at 4 ohms for a couple hundred less than the ampeg 8x10. Would this work ? Imagine 4 4x10 cabs, with a head that could handle 2 ohms that would move some serious air ! Once again, I am a little new to all the amp stuff and I don't want to sound like an idiot but that would be kinda cool

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    It wouldn't be exactly the same, but it would still be a good setup. The Avatar cabs are ported and the Ampeg 810 is a sealed design if I'm not mistaken. 410s are heavy because there are 4 drivers in the cab and that adds a lot of weight. But a 2 410 setup would be more versatile than the 810 and a lot more portable. But the two Avatars won't sound like the Ampeg, I used to have an Avatar 410 and I still own my vintage Ampeg 810, and the Ampeg wins hands down if you have a really good buddy who doesn't mind helping to load and unload.

Dirk

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i would rather have an 8x10. but 2 4x10's would be perfectly fine for moving around. much more than an 8x10, well unless you have a truck.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    playing in front of an AMPEG 810 makes you look like a bad-a** too!

-Mike

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    totally man :D.

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    what other cabs besides the ampeg 8x10 have a sealed design? I'm lookin for a sealed 2x10 or 4x10