1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurtmon, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    I can pick up a Avatar 410, for 150.00. the guy says he thinks it is a couple years old, it is in excellent shape, how would I be able to tell the year made?

2. Lick your finger and roll some dice.......

Honestly,

You can try and taking out the speakers and I believe Dave writes it somewhere on the inside of the cab.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If it's in good shape does it really matter?

4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    If it works well & sounds good, for about $150, it doesn't matter if it's 2 year or 8 years old!

5. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    Suppose not at 150, Are all of the new models made with Neo Speakers? and if so when did they start

6. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    Yeah all of the new models have neo's in them. On the 410 the cones are "colored" bluish gray I think, so they don't look like the normal black ones (check out the pictures on the avatar website). I think he started going neo 2 or so years ago but I'm not positive.

7. I think just removing one of the speakers from it's housing and looking at the speaker's back label should tell you which version it is. A few years ago their cabs were loaded with Eminence Kappas and Deltas. I bought a 410 Delta cab used locally for $100 and while it does a reasonable job (strictly for the rehearsal room), it doesn't match well with the heads I own, the most powerful one being 650 watts. Since the delta cabs are rated for 1000w, it takes a head or power amp of nearly (or more than) the same wattage to really make it sing. I was thinking of replacing the Deltas with Neo 10s down the road since I got the cab for short money, but I don't really use 10s for shows anymore, so we'll see.

8. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    The cab is an hour and thirty minute drive for me, so I will not be able to test it out b4 I buy, the guy has a sister that lives close to me that will be visiting him this weekend, so the plan is she will bring the cab back with her, the guy told me the cab is rated for 1000 watts, but works well with smaller amps, I will be useing a EA350 4-ohm the cab is also 4-ohm

9. I usually use mine with either a GK 800RB or an Eden Nemesis NA650 (300w @ 4ohms & 425w @ 4 ohms respectively). I failed to mention that cab is 4 ohms as well. It's not that the cab sounds bad to me, it's just that the speakers don't really move with lower wattage heads. It's still a great cab in my estimation and I seriously doubt you'll find a better deal for $150 anytime soon :) Keep us posted when you get it.

10. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    What would you suggest the best amp to match this cab up with would be?

11. Well, I can only speculate here since I really don't need that much power for the club gigs I do (and I play mostly Metal, believe it or not, lol), but I sometimes envision a preamp/power amp to go with the cab. The EBS1 preamp that I foolishly sold last year combined with say, a QSC PLX1602 (1600w bridged @ 4 ohms) or Crest CA6 (1500w bridged @ 4ohms) would have it working full bore, I would imagine. Again, I have to stress that's only speculation and shouldn't be taken as any real recommendation. The Avatar might sound great with your EA and it will definitely get you through gigs, so no major worries.