Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 8, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    well the bank just gave me the go ahead, so i'm going to be ordering the new rig this week.

i was originally thinking of the following:

1001rb-II head + 3space skb rack + avatar 210neo + 115H = 1296

but, after talking to dave at avatar he recommended the 410neo, then add a 115 if i want the extra boom.

so..... i could do the following.

1001rb-II head + avatar 410neo + 115H = 1289

what would you guys do?

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well i think youd move alot more air with a 410 and a 15 then a 210 anda 15 so i'd probably go with the 410+115. But it is all based on personal preference.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Depends on whether or not you want to haul the extra weight even though those neo 410's are LIGHT. The 15 may well be superfluous. My 410 Delta has plenty of low end for me, I used to bust out the reggae all the time and crank my 700RB-II for maximum bottom end and those 4 10's took it without a problem. It's a pretty damn good cab man. Buy the 410 then evaluate whether or not you need any more cabs. But be sure to buy an 8 ohm 410 :bassist:

4. I agree with Ralphdaddy,get the NEO 410 first.Ive got one and it does below E notes real well by itself and has good volume.If you want to add another cabinet you could even add just a SB112 or a 210 NEO later but I don't think you'll need to,depends on the music you play and volume.

5. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    thanks for the advice guys.
    anyone know if the 410neo will fit in the back seat of my 4door civic?

6. no_im_adam

no_im_adam

Jun 5, 2004
    where are you getting the head from for so cheap, i can't find it for less than $750?

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
  8. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I used to haul two avatar cabs (a 2x12 and a 1x15) around in the back of my 88 4 door civic.
    :)

9. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Get a GK cab... It's the only way you can use the cool bi-amp woofer/horn feature on those amps...

10. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    the avatars have speakeon in the back, isn't that all you need to biamp? i know the horns are controlled seperatly and have a cool knob on the back to adjust the horn volume.

11. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hes talking about the bi-amp feature on the gk head that only works on gk cabs where the horn is powered by a seperate 50w that the 1001rb-II provides.

12. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    right.
    so why can this only work on GK cabs?

13. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    The way I understand it (i never played one but just by looking at the web sight) GK has a extra 50w amp in the head for the horn. You plug in the full range amp (700w) to the full range plug in the cabinet, then you plug the high/horn out put (50w) to a seperate horn plug in the cabinet. Two cables per cabinet. Is this right?

It's a cool A$% looking rig. How do they sound and the reliablity of GK? I love the mid rip, cut though sound of SWR and Ampeg's lay down foundation sound is "ok". Where's the sound of GK fall? More SWRy, Ampegy or a Gk sound of it's own.

14. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    actually GK makes a special 4-way cable for use with their cabs and heads... There is a switch on the back of the cab that lets you run it full range if you want...

There are two 1/4 inch outputs and two speakon outputs... that is it...

The 1/4 inch ones are just for the main amp...

You must use the speakon outputs with the special cable, in order to use the 50 watt tweeter amp...

There is no high and low output...

The two speakon outputs are the same...

Correct me if I am wrong on this...

15. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Sounds better then what I came up with.

All in all, if you run a full range cabinet made by anyone other then GK your 50w amp will sit idle. (am I reading it right? The 1001 is called 700/50 but only puts out 540w?)

How do they sound?

16. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    you can still use the 700w if your running like a 4 ohm cab or 2 8 ohm cabs. its just that if you not running it through a GK cab then you just wont be able to use the serparte 50w output for the tweeter. from my understanding of it. and from people ive talked to.

17. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    So, is this GK setup sound good? :hyper:

18. It's not a "special cable", it's a stereo Speakon connecter. +1 and -1 are the main cabinet, +2 and -2 are for the horn, which can be attenuated on the front of the amp as well as on the back of the cab.

You could probably ask Dave at Avatar to wire the horn of your 4x10 into the +2 -2 binds on the socket, it's not a hard job.

As for the cab config, the 1x15 will essentially just be a large table for you to put the 4x10 on. The 4x10 will be pumping out a stupid amount of low end and moving vast amounts of air, the bottom added by the 15" will be minimal. If you need the extra low end *that* much, get yourself a 1x18".

1x15 + 2x10 and 4x10 configurations are generally a nice all-round speaker config, you won't go wrong with either of them from Avatar.

19. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    well from what i've read, people seem to like the 410 with a 115 or a 212. i guess maybe i'll just get a 410neo for now, and then add a 115 if i need the extra boom.

20. so how does Avatar stuff sound compared to GK, Ampeg, and SWR? Avatar has a kind of DIY look to their cabs, are they good stuff?