Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

avatar 4x10 delta speaker ohm.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Oct 11, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    long story short....im thinking about getting a 4x10 delta, but does anybody know which cab has the speakers that are 8ohm. do the 8 ohm speakers come in the 8ohm verson or the 4 ohm verson???? im going to wire it up like 2 4 ohm 2x10s in one box.

2. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Typically, an 8 ohm 4x10 would have 8 ohm speakers wired series/parallel. Are you planning to have one input go to one pair of 10's and another input go to the other?

Ralf

3. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    yea

4. The 8 ohm box should have the 8 ohm speakers wired in series/ parallell. If you ask Dave at Avatar this question he will be happy to confirm this. As you probably already know if you wire two eight ohm drivers in parallel you will get a four ohm load.

One thing's for sure, the 4 ohm box does not have 8 ohm drivers.

5. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    yea im going to do that for my stereo cab until i get extra money for another cab, but is this safe running this kind of a setup, im going to run the lows thru one 2x10 and the highs thru teh other 2x10/tweeter. whats the benefits of stereo with 2 heads over mono???

6. I wouldn't run two different signals (highs, lows) into different speakers that share the same space. The speakers will behave badly and the response won't be accurate. You will also lose the benifit of lows comming from all four speakers.

If you do it you should put a small enclosure behind each speaker that is carrying the highs. I recommend using vertical pairs for better dispersion and clarity.

I think a better alternative would be to get an Eminence Alpha 8 MR and put it in it's own small enclosure to run the highs. It wouldn't cost too much to do and the alpha 8 mr should be loud enough to keep up with your 4x10 cab.