Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Sep 4, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    just got it yesterday and i must say it does live up to the hype on here. very punchy and tight. cuts right through my guitarist's 100 watt marshall! low end could be a little better but i have a 1x15 that compensates it.
    i'll let you know how the speakers sound after they are broken in...
  2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    there's a lot of hype on here no doubt, everyone says they're great for the money and i'm sure they are, but how do they compare to other cabs of higher prices? are they really good cabs? or are they just really good for the money? what more expensive cabs would you say they are comparible too in sound and quality and what not, i've been thinking about an avatar 2x10 and was just wondering how they compare to other mid priced cabs
  3. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Yea, I really would like to know. I mean, when it comes to me buying a new cab, I wanna know whether to get an Ampeg BSE 4x10 or an Avatar 4x10. And the only thing thats standing between the 2 cabs is the price difference.
  4. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    ha, that's funny that was actually what i was wondering myself because i own a bse 410, i was wondering how it would sound compared
  5. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    from what i figure, they'd be great cabs for the higher frequency range of a biamp. a 410 doesn't have to go down to 30-40hz +-3dB's if your crossover only makes it do 100-200 and higher. Let a deeper diving 15 or 212 do the job for the lows. just my 2cents
  6. Yeah I wanna see how it compares, too. Definately Avatar vs. Ampeg.
  7. I'm running my Hartke 7000 through an Ampeg 4x10+15 cab right now, but since its not my cab, I had to get my own, and my Avatars should be here tomorrow. I ordered a 2x10 and a 1x15.

I like the tone I'm getting out of the Ampegs, and I'm hoping the Avs will give me that same warm and fuzzy feeling. I'll post tomorrow when I've had a chance to compare 'em both.
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've got the Av 4x10...it came down to price (and staying married) and it hasn't let me down one bit. I think there are a lot of positive comments about the Avatar quality because so many of us "hoped" that the hype was true and found out that it was. I didn't expect it to be the best cab on the market, but it might be the best cab on the market for the cost.

good luck! :cool:
  9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it sounds very punchy. i would agree that it would do best on the high end of a bi amp. i ran it both bridged and bi-amped on my hartke 7000 and it didn't have the lowend i was looking for. i have to wait until the speakers are broken in a little more to let you know how it REALLY sounds. i don't think that it would have the same lowend as an ampeg but i have never played anything ampeg except for the 6x10 and 8x10. it wasn't as low as my genz benz xb410 but that had huge front ports. the av is a lot punchier. so far i'd say if you want grunt these are the cabs for you (i.e. jazz-bridge p-up) anyways i'l let you know in a week or two.
  10. I played my first ever gig last night, and we wound up doing all the sound ourselves (long story), and my Avatars sounded AWESOME!!!! Growly and thundering when I needed and high and tight as required. The cabs performed flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with my tone and the sound I get from 'em.

If you're watching the budget, you can't go wrong with these cabs. Hell, if you want good cabs period, you can't go wrong. My 2x10 and 1x15 aren't backbreakers to move and they bark with authority.

Thanks, Dave from Avatar - you rock!
  11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah i gigged mine last night too. i had to cut out some mids (250-3K) because it was cutting through too much. the speakers have relaxed some (after about 20 hours of play, but still have a way to go i think) and the low end is better than i had previously said. i didn't bring my peavey bw 115 and i had just enough bottom. they are good speakers regardless of price. i would take them over many mid-price cabs: workingman cabs, fender, hartke, peavey, crate (yuck). i like them alot better than any gallien krueger cabinet i've played (sorry trip, but your heads are great!) i even like it better than the lower-end eden stuff i've tried (xl series? i'm not sure). i even had a respected local bassist ask me what kind it was, he liked my tone that much.
  12. Yeah, I had my mids cut as well. Speakers seemed to agree with that a little better. For some of the songs, I almost wanted to be felt as much as heard, and I was :)
  13. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    isn't that a great feeling?!
  14. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    I JUST ORDERED MY AVATAR 4x10 AND I COULDNT BE MORE EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its the first cab ive ever owned and im using it with my Hartke HA3500. I hope it sounds ok. cause im majorly underpowering this cab. but its the best i can do for now. im happy
  15. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I don't think you'll be underpowering the cab. Although Eminence does rate those drivers as handling 300 watts a piece, when you're working with the low frequencies I bet the combined power handling is probably something more like the power handling of your average 4x10 bass cab.
  16. Amen, bro, amen! We did a slower song that's got a real, in the pocket type groove. One of the guitarists sat down on the edge of the stage and played his acoustic and he told me after that every note I hit travelled right up his spine :)

Handlax, your hartke will kick butt with the Av 4x10! You're gonna love it! I'm bi-amping my Hartke 7000, so each side is getting 240 watts - well under the rating, but I had my amp master volume set to 3 and I was easily cutting through the guitars.
  17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I see most people are using the 2x10, 1x15 set up or a 4x10. Anyone have any expierence with the 1x12 model?
  18. I just recieved my 410 from dave, so far so good. Haven't had the chance to play with the band yet. I had to sell my carvin 410 to fix my amp and since its fixed I needed a new cab, avatar was in my price range since I was broke from paying some tech to repair my amp. I sure hope these cabs pan out to be better than my Carvin was....not that it was that great in the first place....
  19. "I almost wanted to be felt as much as heard"

I wish women had these same feelings.
  20. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Too damn funny!!
    :D :D :D :D :D