Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 20, 2004.

1. alright guys i neesd some help desiding on which one i want, the avater 2x12 or the avatar 4x10, i think i want them in 8 ohm beacause i dont think just one 2x12 or one 4x10 would be good for very long (to handle big gigs and stuff like outdors) but i can only afford one cab right know and then later i will add another one to it, converting it into 4ohms to get the amplifiers full potential power out. or do think i should get it in 4 ohms so i would always use the amplifiers full potential? man this so hard of a choice. any way could i get some ideas on what people think i should do, my band is loud, the guitarest has a fender super reverb reissue all tube and the drummer is very very very loud, most drummers are. and we do play outor gigs as small gigs also,

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

2. what kind of head are you using?

if you are running a "pre/power" set up then many power amps have Parrallel modes where you can send your signal to both channels so that you could run a 4ohm cab on each channel(that's how I run)

I'm a fan of 410's...don't have much experience with 12's in bass cabs

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    get the 410....a second one later.

-Mike

4. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I can't really comment on the Avatar 410 because I've never heard one.

I can however, comment on the 212 because I own one. It gives me plenty of volume, and I only run 150 watts into it. Unless a nice deal on something else comes along I'm going to get an Avatar 210 to go along with the 212.

If you have a powerful head the 410 could work well, and you could get a 115 later to go along with that. I would think you need a good 350 watts if not more to get the full potential out of that setup though, so it depends on what you're going to use to run them.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've got a couple of Avatar SB-112 cabinets. They sound more open sounding than a typical 4-10 cabinet. I haven't heard an Avatar 4-10 but I'd think that they'd sound more compressed like most 4-10 cabinets. That's how I'd describe my Goliath III although compared to the series I & II Goliath's the series III is much more open sounding. The Avatar appears to be similar to the series III Goliath design. Two 4-10 cabinets sound great! Very tight and quick note response. I slightly prefer the sound of the 10's with slap and pop style playing while stright ahead rock sounds better IMO through the 12's. You may want go with one of each (1-212 & 1-410) instead of 2 of one. The best of both worlds and would give you a nice variety to take to a gig. With either choice you'll be pleased!

6. well if i get two cabinets probably a 2x12 and a 4x10 i will have to get them in 8 ohms, the head i would be using wuld be a behringer bx3000t its extremly loud (alot louder than the hartke 3500) but if i just wanted to bring say the 4x10 toa gig and leave the 2x12 at home i would only be using 150 watts beacuse the head is 300 watts and it will cut the full potential in half when using just one 8ohm cabinet, i didnt really understand what that guy was saying the pre/power thing, whats that? could i possibly have 2 4ohm cabs running through the samer head.

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    He was stating that if you used a power amp (stereo/2 CH) and a pre-amp you could run one cabinet with one side and another cabinet with the other side (of the stereo power amp).
    As for the 2-4 ohm cabinets question, you'd need to check and make sure that your amp can run down to 2 ohms (2-4 ohm cabinets in parallel) before doing that. Typically most amps run fairly hot in that condition and THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) is much higher.

8. no i would not push my head to 2 ohms it would probably catch on fire
    what do you think i should do, since i can only get one cabinet right know do you think i should just a cab in 4 ohm or 8 ohm and then get another one later. i just wish i could try them out before i baught it.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    get an 8ohm as long as you are SURE you will add a second cab later.

-Mike

10. it really dependson how it sounds like if just a 4x10 can go really low at high volumes and does great at outdor gigs and indor gigs i would probably just get the 4x10 in 4ohm but if it lacks low end a bit i would want to ad a 2x12 or a 1x15 on the bottom to give it some more low end. and i play in a blues rock band so i need teh low end and mid range.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    get the 8ohm 410 right now. you are going to want a 115 for that low end you are craving.

-Mike

12. but the 4x10 could enuff low end it would be nice if some people wopuld say what the avatar 4x10 sounds like alone

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't understand why everyone ASSUMES that you can get more low end out of a 1x15 than a 4x10. Last summer I A/B'd my rig onstage between two 4x10's and a 4x10 with a 1x15 config (all aguilar), and I was blown away by how much MORE lows I was getting out of the 4x10 than I was the 1x15.

14. yea i see what your saying