1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imChinOaChicken, Jul 27, 2007.

1. i may be able to get an avatar cab and wondering which would be a better standalone choice, the 4x10 or 2x12.

im leaning towards the 4x10 because of its higher wattage but i dont know about it handling the low b on my sr5. anyone with experience?

since im going standalone, i should get the 4ohm version right?
    is the line-x worth it?

i want to get something solid that would last me a while. im in a jazz choir right now and looking for a hardcore or metal -type band to play in in the future so ill need some volume later on.

2. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    For standalone I would choose the 4x10, and I did. :smug:

I wouldn't say that the 2x12 can't handle a low b, in fact it probably does a good job at it - I just love the way my Avatar 410 handles a low b; way more kick than I would've guessed before hearing it.

If you can afford the extra $$$ for the Line-X covering, I would say it's definitely worth it, especially if you're going to be playing out in a metal or hardcore band. :)

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Avatar neo speakers are great with low notes.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    If I'm not mistaken, Bass Player magazine did a very good comparison between these two cabs a little while ago.
    You may be able to find the article on line still.

If I remember correctly, they actually liked the 2x12 a little better both in regards to tone and volume.

Anybody else remember that reveiw?

5. This is a question I'd like to have "answered" as well.

As a 5-string player, I'm torn as to which cab to get.

-Eric

6. It's linked at Avatar's website. I read it a while back and am too lazy to reread it, but the main thing I remember was that they said the 4x10 sounded deeper but the 2x12 cut through better. Since that review, Avatar has upgraded the 2x12 to compare in "depth" to the 4x10. I wonder if that changeover had any effect on the 2x12 mid-voicing and how accurate that review is now.

7. yea, the review said that with the same settings, the 2x12 seemed louder.

(http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Bass%20Guitar%20Magazine.htm)

i guess ill be going for a 4ohm 4x10 with line-x.
    ill be needing a decent head to use for now though..
    what do you guys think of a peavey tour 700?

also, when ordering, do you think he'll mind if i send the order and credit card info in seperate emails?
    im just a little sketchy about sending the info on email.

thanks

8. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I bought two SB112 cabs. Easier to transport...

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Of course not. It's a standard online ordering security procedure. If you want to be even more secure, place your order (or just give him your CC #) by telephone.

MM