Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeyImMatt, Oct 28, 2004.

1. HeyImMatt

HeyImMatt

Oct 27, 2004
    Anybody use the Avatar 4x10? Good? Bad? I'm thinking about running an Ashdown MAG 300H through the Avatar 4x10. One of the big plusses is that you can get the Avatar at 4ohms to match the amp you're running. They also have a tweeter with a volume knob on the back. Big plus. What are your opinions on the Avatar's in general? Is there some other brand I should be looking at for the same price range (about $350)?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    why rouin the possibility of adding another cab? i mean, getting a single 4 ohm cab only means trouble.

3. HeyImMatt

HeyImMatt

Oct 27, 2004
    How does getting a 4 ohm cab ruin the possibility of adding another?

Plus, I have had a crappy, less than 100 watt KEYBOARD amp that I have been using for 8 years. I never had the chance to do gigging and was mainly practicing by myself during that time, but now that I am more active in bands and have some real opportunity to play some shows, I need to move up. This will probably be the only move up I make for another few years, so I'm not all that worried about adding another cab.

Matt

4. You need total 4 ohms to get the full power from the MAG300 i would get the MAG 115 and the MAG 410 both low cost both 8 ohms, so you can bring the 410 to practice etc and both for gigs when the volume might be needed.

1 x 4 ohm cab is fine but thats it nothing else to add as its 4 ohms.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I second the 8 ohm cabinet suggestion.

Remember that the rule of thumb is that it takes twice as much power to increase the volume by 3 dB (just enough that you'll be able to notice a difference). Unless your amp puts out at least twice as much power at 4 ohms than it does at 8 (are there any that do?) you wouldn't hear a volume difference between a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabinet (identical except for impedance) with your amp. Besides, your amp would run hotter at 4 ohms...

The two 8 ohm cabinet suggestion is excellent as well.. More cone area will help volume and tone...

6. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Regardless of the impedance of the cabinet, I would strongly encourage you to check out the Avatar 4x10.

I have one, 8 ohm, for those who care, and I run it with an Ampeg SVT400T. It's bridged, 400 wats into 8 ohms.

The tone I get is just great. The cab sounds better, to my ears, than my old SWR GII 4x10.

I basically turn the tweeter off because I get plenty of high end out of my bass (Ibanez ATK300).

It's really very nicely constructed, and even though the Eminence drivers are middle of the road, the box and speakers seem nicely matched, and the tone is very full and round, without much muddiness.

-Shin

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you decide to get the Avatar 410, give the neodymium and Kappa versions consideration over the delta's. The deltas have a relatively small excursion tolerance, the kappa's and the neos are much better in that regard.

8. The B115H I just bought comes with a Kappa Pro and a Foster horn. Note: the 4 ohm version has a 95 oz magnet and the 8 ohm version has a 120 oz. magnet.

The 4 x 10 Pro comes with Kappa Pro LF's also..but weight is almost 100 lbs.

The 4 x 10 Neo comes with light weight Neomymium speakers that are not quite as balsy as the Kappa Pro's but pretty close and weigh in at 65 lbs. I have read great things about these speakers. :bassist:

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There's no such thing as a kappa pro 10 "LF". Its just a kappa pro 10 . . .