Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

avatar 8-ohm b2x12-loud enough for outdoor gig???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 25, 2004.

1. has any body tried the avatar b2x12 8 ohm model outdors is it loud enough has any body ever tried any 2x12 outside? im thinking of getting the avatar 2x12 in 8 ohms and get a avatar b210 8 ohm on top but i can only afford one cab right know is the 2x12 8 ohm loud enough?

2. I'd say this mostly depends on your amp and your guitarist's amp. How many watts are you and your guitarist using?

3. the head i will be using is a behringer bx3000t head 300watts and my guitarest uses a fender duper reverb 50 watts all tube ithink it is a 4x10 and it is very loud

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I know I know this dosn't help but...I have the 212 and my brother n law has a Marshall 100 watt full stack,,,,I just got the 212 and I had to turn my volume down so that I could hear what in the hell he was doing...so I told him and he just turned up a bit more...Anyways...it seems like it would be plenty loud oputside...I have it plugged into a Hartke 4000...also I just got the Avatar 410 the other day...talk about volume...now I'm running 400 watts at 4 ohms

5. whats better the 2x12 or the 4x10-loudness clearness can it handle a E the 4x10 that is

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The last outdoor gig I did was with a custom made 2x12 (Selennium drivers) and my 400w head. It was more than loud enough, though I did have to EQ it for mure punch. Some 10's would be a great addition.

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the Avatar B212 and B210. They are great together, so I like your future plans. The B212 is a great stand alone. It does fine for me outdoors. I'm using a GK 1001RBII.

The B210 is a fantastick addition to the 212. It doesn't have enough depth to go-it-alone in a loud situation for my taste, but damn if it's not a great, punchy cab that will cut through!

While we're talking Avatar, the new SB112 is making me smile as well. (with the 210 it's a killer portable mini stack)

Good Luck

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi fenderbluesdude, IMO it "may" be loud enough, as long as you don't try to dial up a very bassy sound. If you stick with the vintagey sound (more along the lines of JPJ than Vic Wooten) you'll probably do okay. That being said, it really depends on the venue. For backyards, the 2x12 will probably be fine. For parks and such, maybe not quite big enough. What'll generally tend to happen is that the farther away you get from the speakers, the more "midrangey" you'll sound (and the less bass you'll feel). So, while the band might sound great close-up, when you get fifty feet away you'll hear the cymbals and the guitar, and the bass will be long gone. If you have sound reinforcement, you might try running a line into the PA to beef up your bass a little.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm thinking a Behringer BX3000 @ 8Ohms, maybe a little on the thin side. @4ohms, its 300 watts & should be ok.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Correct. Using an 8ohm cab, you will not be getting the full 300w! May be more like 180w. Will you be using P.A. support at this gig? If so, it should be loud enough onstage. Just tell your guitarist to keep his volume down. ;)

11. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    How does the Avatar 410 handle lows at high volumes?
    I have the Avatar 212 and want to add to it. I'm just wondering if the 410 can handle the B string at louder volumes, plus I have the tendency to really dig in when I play.

just curious.

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm sorry to say the day it got delivered is the only time I've played it so far and that was only for about 15 minutes. I have my BTB tuned DGDG and it seemed fine so far...allthough after hooking it up of course the sound changed so I just set my eq to flat...sounded good to me so far...I havn't had any time to play...I just had a new baby girl Monday...hopefully I'll play at practice on Sunday night...I'll post something then if so.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I just purchased a couple of the SB-112 Avatars. I haven't played outdoors with them yet but I did play a loud R&R gig the other night at pretty high volume levels. I used my Mesa M-Pulse 600 and the sound was awesome! I only could run the Mesa at 2 (master about 7) and the volume was huge! I don't think the cab's will be as limiting as the head you use.

14. well how is the avatar 2x12 AT 8 OHMS at about 300watts so at 8 ohms it would be around 180 watts would that be enough for an outdoor gig? im asking this beacuse remeber i can only afford one cab right know, and if i want to add another one later i have to get the cab in 8 ohms.my setup will probably be a 2x10 on top of a 2x12 300 watts running through it

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, you'll be getting 180 watts worth of loudness. It will be enough to hear yourself on stage. It will not be enough to project at a large open outdoor space without P.A. support. Unless it is a small crowd upclose and personal? Can you get 1 4ohm cab now and then save up for 2 8ohm cabs later? I say this because you are gonna need all 300 watts!

16. or i could save just a couple more hundred bucks and wait about a couple of weeks and just get the 2x10 with it
    so it would be 2x10/2x12 300watt setup right then and there i think the total amount for the avatar 2x12 teh avatar2x10 and the behringer bx3000t is about $818 bucks soooo. or i could buy the 2x12 in 4 ohm and the head ($560) and then when i get some money buy the 2x10 also in 4 ohm and just get another head ( bx3000t) and then just run them seperetly but at the same time if you catch my drift

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Not to take usiness away from Dave at Avatar, that's how I got my 212...but I got my 410 from a fellow talkbass member...do a search on Avatar in the classifieds on this site...there was quite a few Avatar items up for rabs when I got the 410.

18. im play blues the 410 wont give me enough low end the 2x12 will be way better for me

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I guess if you desire that B string bottom then get the 2x12 or a 1x15 for the bottom and use the 2x10 on top. I use a 8ohm 2x10 on top of a 8ohm 1x15 with a 500w amp. I have two setups though. This one and a 300w amp going into a 4ohm 1x15.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A 4 x10 might actually be a better choice for 'the blues'. The 2x12's go deeper but that isn't necessarily what you want in a blues band. Most of the guy's I see playing blues and r&b / funk are using 4x10's or a 1x15 / 2x10 setup. Recent blues shows i've seen include Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers (SWR 4x10), Little Charlie & The Nightcats (GK 4x10), Bill Kirtchen (3 piece roots rock, alt country, blues) Mesa 1x15 and 2x10... off the top of my head.

If you go too 'bassy' or deep in your EQ, then you end up running into the kick drum, assuming that it is mic'd. So even though your cab can go down there you end up EQ'ing that part out in favor of a more balanced fit in the mix.

The 10's have a little more punch to them and I'd go there rather than the extra extension of the 2x12 cab. I like my 2x12. Great sounding cab and a wonderful monitor. Not a one size fit's all kind of cab though and I think a 4x10 might be a better choice for you ... Your mileage may vary ...