Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by -Kramer-, Dec 9, 2003.

1. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    i've been looking for a 1x15, but don't have a lot of money could you guys maybe give me some good ideas?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yep, an Avatar cabinet could be good choice...

How much money can you spend? What else will you be using it with, what kind of sound are you looking for etc.?

3. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    i need some low end for my hartke rig. when i use my six string my transporter wont handle the low end. i can spend about $250 at the most.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I was wondering about avatar amps. They seem to have quite a bit of power handling, but will the avatar 4x10" really outperform the much more expensive SWR Goliath III or the ampeg 4x10" pro?

5. Nothing against Avatar, as I own one of their 210 cabs and love it.
    But, their 1x15 looks pretty big and heavy.
    I use an Ampeg SVT 15E cab in my rig and love the tone of this cab.
    It's not too big or heavy either.
    You can find them all day long for around $200 used on eBay.
    I got mine there and you cannot tell it's not new.

Just another option to consider, I'm sure the Avatar sounds great though.

6. An Avatar CB115 will suit you well
    (if its not too small for sitting under what you already have).

It weighs 54 pounds, not too heavy by most standards.

And
    Costs 230$ shipped.

Glenn

7. I use an avatar CB115 in my setup. It sits on it's side, and it beautifully holds my Peavey 410 on top of it. I got the cab for $185. Model without the tweeter. Oh believe me, it helps the low end out, and it's not the size of a 410 cab either. Just lay the CB115 cab on it's side, and it'll hold any 410 on top of it without risk of falling.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Avatar doesn't make amps, they make cabs people. :rolleyes:

9. Don't be a dick. He stated clearly in his post he was looking for a 1x15 cab. Chill

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I was kidding. :rolleyes: Now you've hurt my feelings. :bawl:

11. Apology:oops: With these bloody forums you can never tell 'kidding', especially with rolleyes signs.

peace

12. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    the parents ordered me an avatar b210 for christmas.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I plan on ordering the B115 or the B115H by then end of this month. That will be the start to my avatar stack. :D That's all

14. b115H if it's your only cab. You're gonna need that tweeter with that speaker. Trust me :eek:

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Initially it will be my only cab, the reason why i thought about getting the one w/o the horn is cause i turn it off on my bassman 200, but i think i will get it just incase in the future i want it. :D The other cabs i plan on getting after christmas are the 2X10 and probably a 4X10. The scary part is it was my DAD's idea for me to get that many cabs. Who knows, i may even end up with the 2X12. That's all

16. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, after i get the b210, ill either get a 115 or a 212 later. probably the 212. that way i can handle larger gigs with both, smaller with just the 210 and medium with the 212. seems logical to me.

17. in my experience, 15"s in all of the combo's I have played, whether or not they have a tweeter, have a bit of definition to them. IMO, the driver in my avatar 15 has way too limited of a frequency response. It lacks highs to put it. It barely pulls a G string without taking a hell of a lot of tweaking, and when I get my 6 string, I doubt I'll be using it as a standalone at ALL. I've got a 410 for the clarity, which can holds it's own with lows anyways. I bring the CB115 where a 410 is overkill and intimidating to 'other people'. I may consider an Aguilar 112 for these occasions. Or maybe I'll build my own cab and recone one of the speakers from my hartke combo amp. Who knows. I'm just saying, I struggle to get usable higher frequencies with my avatar cab, I wish I got it with a tweeter.:meh:

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Sorry to hijack the thread. :)

I'm ordering a Carvin DCM2k later this week to power it all. The reason for the so many cabs is that i play for a wide variety of venues/styles/bands so i want all the versatility that i can. Also, i know that once college hits i won't have any money-so i'm buying all the gear i can now. :D That's all

19. very true. sometimes you wont be able to use 2 cabs like you'd prefer to. a 210 would lack some lows that a 2x12 could have, while the 212 should still have that definition, more low mids, and more 'throw'. I see what you mean.