Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skieresz, Feb 25, 2004.

1. skieresz

skieresz

Nov 30, 2002
    I have 2 EVL drivers sitting around, so I'm thinking of plunking them into empty Avatar 1x15 cabs. Will this sound good? Are Avatars a good match for the EVL's? Do you think this will approach the quality of a Mesa Diesel or at least be in the same ballpark? I love the sound of the Diesel, but the 2x15 won't fit in my car. I also don't have enough money to buy 2 1x15 diesels. And I'd like to make use of the EV drivers I got sitting around. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. EVM 15Ls are great speakers with an extended (for a 15") high end. I don't think they're made any longer, either (is EV still being sold by any retailers since Telex took over, by the way? They've almost become invisible...). Congrats for having a pair. I've got an even older SRO 15" (barely used) that's sitting in a box in storage. Someday I'll find a use for it!

I think you'd be best served by asking the head guy at Avatar. He's supposed to be very helpful and informative. He oughta know.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'd get a hold of the swami's of that topic, bgavin and petebass. Have them run the spec's on the EV and then compare with the empty Avatar cab. EV used to have a plan for Theil cab on their site for one of their 15's. Not sure if it was the 15l or not though. That was a pretty small but nice sounding cab. I used a set(2) of them for a month years ago that were built by EAW but using that plan. I moved from those to a pair of JBL Cabaret's which are much larger and nicer cab's and with JBL's. Still got 'em. They must be 25 years old at this point. That pair can pump some sound ... A pair of 1x15 cabs can kick but the cabs need to be the correct design for the driver.

4. The EV are cataloged in my spread sheet, and the numbers are worked out.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have the plan for the cab, the TL-606, in PDF form. I think EV may still sell it or give it away, it used to be free at one time. Ask them first if you're interested, then PM me if you strike out. It is intended for the 15L, and is pretty nice for a 4 string bass, but doesn't really go low enough for a 5 string. I still use a couple of near-knockoffs, tuned for a 15B and an EV SP-15, which has a whizzer cone and the EVM motor. I'd say they make better PA mid-bass bins than bass guitar cabs, but I like 'em fine for bass too. They're compact and pretty light if you use plain old fir ply, which works fine for this design, IME (BG: don't shoot me, OK?). EV presents two tuning options, go for the low extension option if the cabs are going to be used for bass.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I was working in a blues band at the time doing some light jazz stuff as well. Those cab's worked fine in that environment. It is a vintage kind of sound rather than the extended freq range modern sound. Probably not as loud or as deep as your mesa bin, but then you do have to give something up for portability ...

Passin'wind ... we'll have to hook up one of these days. I'm still out travelling for a while. At least I'm back in North America though ... just on the wrong coast!

Mal