Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Feb 13, 2005.

1. hey guys i'm thinking on getting a avatar cab to replace my Svt410hlf ( to heavy and not enough power) i am running a Svt-4pro head and was wondering if any one has compared the 212 to the 410pro as far as low end ? i am playing a 73 pbass with flats and a custom 6 string semi hollow that has ALOT of low end. i have the old compact 15 and the lows sometimes "Fart out" but when they don't i LOVE the sound. so what would you do the 212 or the 410 ?also would you get the 8 or 4 ohms.

p.s any thoughts on pairing one othe them with the compact 15?
  2. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    the hollow body will make a lot of low end because of the chamber, i'd go with the 2x12, i have both the 4x10 and the 2x12 i just wish i had a head that would pump out more than 350 watts
  3. The Avatar 212 rocks and it can get really loud and also sounds good at lower volumes. I'm powering mine with an Eden WT-800 and I'm really pleased. I play a Sadowsky MV5 and the 212 cab handles the low "B" with no problem. I'm thinking of selling my WT-800 and getting an Epifani amp, I think the 900 watt one.
  4. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm having trouble imagining that the 410HLF doesn't have 'enough power'!!! That's one monster cab. Consider this though - the gobs of low end being put out by the hollow body probably includes lots of subs. If it's anything like my dearmond ashbory (piezo, huge lows - too much for any cab at volume), then you simply need to cut off everything below about 40hz as it's just eating up amplifier headroom and causing the farting out you're describing.
    I don't think changing the cab would make a marked difference at all.
  5. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm looking at getting a 210 and a 112 to replace my 410HLF as well..

are Avatar a quality cab? The prices suggest they are a little on the budget side of things.. How is the build quality and sound? are they road tough???
  6. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have that very combination and makes for a good one too. The 210's hit the highs and the mids while the 112 punches out the lows. I had the 210's for about a year and when I got the 112 I discovered the difference in the frequency spectrum that the two cabs cover.

Do a search on Avatar and you will see that there are plenty of users on Talkbass.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just do a search. Avatars rock. They use all the right stuff, void free baltic birch, daddo joints, Eminence speakers, Fostex horns, etc. The only thing that's missing is the middle man to jack the price up (they only deal factory direct). It's a family business run by a father and son. That's why they are so cheap. Very little advertising (last I saw, one little ad in Bass Player), no big factory, no stores to jack the prices. Great quality for cheap. That's the way it should be!
  8. you guys should smack yourselves for asking these questions!! :D Avatar = great quality, price, and service. There's been a bazillion Avatar Vs. "Famous Name Brand" threads.... No. it's not an ampeg, but it's not an ampeg price. No, it's not an SWR, but it never claimed to be. Eden?? no. Bag End? no.

Dave rules. Buy it, try it, return it if you're not happy. If they sucked do you think that as many people would really own them (mine was stolen actually) and give as many positive reviews? Robear22 has this spot on..

hmmmmmmmm.... use the noggin kids... it's ok... :p
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I love my 212 Avatar. Bought two, sold one to a friend, now he's happy too. Sold off all my Eden gear. That should tell you something.
  10. Quadzilla

I have to disagree with Rev on this. I've owned and played a lot of cabs. I'm not saying that Avatar is better than most of them, but I tell ya, they are on par with some of the big boys. I'd certainly say they blow away any of the big boys "bargain" lines like GK's "Backline", SWR's "Workingman's" and others bargain cabs. I actually think that the Avatar's fair quite well against SWR's pro stuff. Not quite there but DAMN close...
  11. yeah, that was my point.. it's not an SWR cab, but Dave never said it was. It's not a Bergie, but dave doesn't advertise them that way. I'm not saying they are the SAME as these high end cabs, but for what they are, the service, the cost, and fact that Dave is the only one yer dealin with is GREAT. i loved mine until it was stolen. i'm getting ready to get another one soon. ;)
  12. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The biggest beef I had with mine (B410) was the tweeter/crossover, which can be harsh and hissy when turned up to high. Most of the time I keep it only about 1/4 up. A few here on TB have replaced the crossovers and have been happy with the results.

- Ugly.
  13. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I love my Avatars - I have 3 of their 2x10 cabinets. Two of the three cabs are their Neodymium magnet enclosures. I used different combinations of them along with a 15" bottom. If you're worried about the construction - don't be. They are most impressively built cabs I've come across, it was the first detail about them that made me say "Wow!" when I took them out of the box. The next thing that made me say WOW!!! was the tone. The blue-ish tinged Emminence Delta speakers look curiously similiar to those of several high-end "boutique" cabinets I've seen. Hmmm. ;) They are the only cabinets I will ever use from here on out. You simply can't go wrong with the Avatar cabs - they rock! :bassist:

14. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Sorry - I just realized I said absolutely nothing about the low-end handling of the Avatars - handles the low "B" of my Stingray quite nicely at loud volumes. I prefer the tightness of a few 10's in my stack - compliments the Stingray nicely. Most of the time, a couple of 2x10 cabinets cover the low end exceptionaly well for most average room-size gigs. Obviously, for when I want to really push lows at high volumes (outdoor shows or big, big rooms) I'll break out the 15" on the bottom. For the low end reproduction that your looking for, definitely go for the 2x12 enclosure ran on top of your 15" cab. Dave is extremely helpful - he will definitely talk to you about your powerhandling and cabinet impedances to help you decide which cabinet (4 or 8-ohm configuration) would be best for the bass head your using.

Peace. :)
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

16. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    can anyone tell me if the "voidless baltic birch plywood" Avatar cabs are made of is a reconstituted wood?

... is it like MDF or particle board or is it a solid hard wood straight from a tree?

I need to know for Australian quarantine reasons...
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Ok-i own several Avatar Cabs, 2X10 delta, B115h, and a B212. The 12s to me sound the most full-the 15 is a bit boomy compared to the 12s and 10s. The 10s have the most highs and mids. Low B? I'd go for the 2X12-i haven't played any of the 4X10s.....don't quite have the funds and can't logic another cab-3 is enough for me even though i want the tonal variety that having the 4X10 would give. Oh well. So yeah-i think the 2X12 and the 1X15 can handle the low B pretty well, the 2X10 likes to start farting a bit quicker. That's all
  18. Quadzilla

Solid wood, right from tree, not particle or MDF...
  19. I love my B212, it's killer paired with my SVT-CL. I got it as a replacement for my 610hlf and I don't think I'll ever regret it. The thing with 12's is they have the deep bottom of a 15 but react quick like a 10 so you get the best of both worlds. I got the 4 ohm one and may get a 4 ohm 210 to go with it soon.

Low dough doesn't necessarily mean poor quality. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and started a thread on this forum and the feedback was incredibly positive. I wholeheartedly recommend these cabs.