Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nadav, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Ashdown Mag 300H + Avatar B212

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. GK Backline 600 + 210BLX-II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. GK Backline 600 + 410BLX-II

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Something else

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm looking into finally getting a new rig soon, and I have around $600 to spend. I was thinking about getting the common Ashdown Mag 300H + Avatar B212 setup, but I went to guitar center and played through a GK Backline 600 and liked it a lot. I played it through the GK BLX-II cabs, 2x10 and then 4x10 since both are in my price range, and I liked the sound.

Would getting the Ashdown+Avatar B212 be better than the GK setup? Does anyone here have that GK head or cabinet that can comment on it? Are there any other options in my price range that I should at?

I'm looking for something versatile, but I mostly play blues/rock and would like a warm good-low-mids type sound (think Billy Cox/Jack Bruce).

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've not heard much positive about the GK backline stuff, however if you liked it then cool. I think the Avatar+Ashdown setup would get you closer to the warm heavy tone you say you want. GKs tend to be quite crisp, some say sterile.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Wanna get a good Jack Bruce like sound?

Get a Sunn tube head from the '60s/early 70s off of ebay for around 200-300 bucks. Spend the other $300 or so on an Avatar 2x12 cabinet. Crank the head, including the lows. Bam. Instant Jack Bruce distorted bass from hell sound (not exact, but pretty damn close).

Otherwise, go with the Ashdown, if you want a great clean sound with lots of warmth & clarity.

I like GKs, but frankly the Backline stuff ain't all that great. It sounds pretty good in the store, but outside of that, they don't sound too hot. They're also notorious for overheating, not to mention the OD channel sounds like a Fender Frontman 15 guitar amp.

Just my two cents, got change for a nickel?

4. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's an idea also, but I'm looking for a clean sound. Looove clarity, and I hear that's what I'll be getting from the Ashdown. I think I'll most likely go for the Ashdown/Avatar setup.

5. Wait, maybe (if you really liked it and compared it to other tones even outside of your budget) you could ask if GC would let you try it out at band practice for about a week?

If you still like it, then get it! I'd be conscious of what others say about Backline because it is a budget line and no one likes budget lines before they even hear them.

Good luck.

6. Personally I would go with the Avatar B212, and seach out ebay for a Gallien Krueger 700RB I/II or something- I will have alot more juice than both the Mag and the backline series amps. And it's pretty easy to dial in great tone on the GK's.

Your sound will suffer using the Mag- 300w @ 4ohms, it's likely to be 180w@8ohm, which isnt alot of juice for powering such a big cabinet- maybe go the 4ohm cab, but that limits your posabilities in the future of adding cabinets. The GK 700RB is much more powerful, and will probably give a better sound- despite being cheap, it's not a low end amp like the Mag- and has more features.

Just my opinion. I have played the Mag for a short peroid, owned a Gallien Krueger 400RB III for a few months (now looking at an 800RB, or 1001RB II)- I really found the GK to have better sound. Having said that I have never played their backline series.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

+1 for that.

Definately get the B212. As for the head, the MAG is pretty decent... but I gotta give the edge to the 700RB. you could land one for a great price and it'd give you a little bit more.