Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I spoke to Dave at Avatar about all the good things that people were saying about Avatars on Talkbass.com. Several weeks ago, he told me of a new cabinet that he was coming out with. He was very excited about it and thought it would appeal to many people as a great practice cab, for use in a small venue or as part of a stack. We spoke some more and I offered to review one for him and post it to this site (shame I have to send the cab back after this).

So, after waiting for a bit, I received the box. Shipping weight was 40 lbs so I imagine the cab itself (without the packaging) to weigh about 37ish pounds give or take. As with the other cabs I have received from Avatar, the cab is VERY well packed and well protected from the abuse of UPS. Dave even seals the cabs in plastic inside to protect them from moisture. The first thing that you notice about the cab is the solid feel. As with the other Avatar cabs I have owned, these things are built TOUGH. ¾” plywood construction, dadoed joints, nice corner protectors, switchcraft ¼” jacks (2 of them for daisy-chaining), tweeter volume control (nice brass knob with a solid feel when you turn it), 6dB per octave slope mylar capacitor crossover, Fostex (aka Foster, same company) tweeter (used by many other cab makers like SWR, Carvin, etc…), and the sweet monster Eminence Kappa 12 (rated at 400 RMS!!) with the mega 80 oz. magnet!! The cab has 2 – 4” diameter ports in the back that are 1” in depth.

One thing that you notice immediately is the portability of this cab. The handle on the top has a good solid feel and is positioned perfectly so when you lift the cab. It is balanced without leaning to the front or rear (or side to side for that matter).

So, time to fire this baby up! I had my Avatar 2x10 along for an A/B test and 2 different heads (my Hartke 7000 and my new Trace Elliot Commando). I also had 2 basses to play with (my 98 Fender Precision and my 2002 Washburn model RB-2002 Hammerhead). I used 2 different effects boxes (my DOD Bass 30 and my Zoom 506II).

I hooked up the 2x10 at first and jammed for a solid 30 plus minutes to get used to the sound and then switched to the B112 (using the same setup, Washburn with the DOD and the Trace head). The first thing that I noticed was the volume increase. This is probably due to the 2 – 10” speakers “sucking” up more juice. Now for the sound!

On hard rock jams/metal using a pick (fast) I actually give my vote to the 2x10. The 2x10 seemed to be slightly tighter with a little more punch. I then switch to a few blues riffs, mainstream rock and some jazz stuff. This is where the cabinet shines. It has a VERY warm sound to it and still maintains much of the punch of the 10” but is not as muddy as a 15” at higher frequencies. Part of this may also come from the crossover routing the highs to the tweeter. In any case it sounds great. Unfortunately I did not have a five or six string on hand to test some of the lower notes, but an E at high volumes sounds wonderful with the full fundamental intact.

Time to throw some wattage at this baby. First I plugged into the 2x10 with my Hartke head and jammed for a bit. I then plugged the 1x12 into the Hartke rig and started playing at high volume. Since this is a 8 ohm cab (same as my 2x10) the Hartke could only deliver 240 watts RMS to the cab but let me tell you that this cab took every bit of it at mucho high volumes without flapping, farting, etc. It surprised me on just how loud this thing got. Talk about shaking the house down. Damn near as loud as the 2x10 cab. Very impressive indeed!!!

Band practice, the next realm:

Now that I had spent some time with the cab one on one it was time to put it through the paces with the band. Admittedly, I am a member of a 3 piece band, a drummer, a guitarist/main vocalist and myself the bassist and backup vocalist. I brought the Hartke head along for this for fear of the Trace not being able to supply the cab with enough watts for a good volume. Let me cut to the chase, the B112 held up wonderfully. It had enough volume to cut through my drummer and guitarist (plus vocals through a PA) without strain. I can see this cab doing well at a small venue without a PA and of course it would be fine at any size venue with a PA.

Bottom line; how the hell can you go wrong with this cab for $199 + $25 shipping??? Quality components, construction, customer service, etc make this an exceptional value. Avatar has to be one of the best kept secrets on the internet (or anywhere else for that matter) IMHO. Dave at Avatar has succeeded in giving us wonderful products at GREAT prices. No middlemen, big corporate offices, CEO’s, advertising (strictly word of mouth) etc, to raise the prices. Gotta love it!

Link to Avatar: http://www.avatarspeakers.com

Update 6-19: Dave just sent me an email stating that the price of the B112 has been lowered to $179. Holy crap!!!

2. Quadzilla

The Test Dungeon...
    [​IMG]

3. Quadzilla

The front of the cab
    [​IMG]

4. Quadzilla

The back of the cab
    [​IMG]

5. Quadzilla

Da Kappa, oooooh yes!!
    [​IMG]

6. Quadzilla

Special thanks to Dave @ Avatar for lending me the cab to write this review!!!:D :cool:

7. Quadzilla

Update 6-19: Dave just sent me an email stating that the price of the B112 has been lowered to $179. Holy crap!!!

8. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Which Avatar cab is your favourite? You have so many..If I were to buy one of them which would you recommend..the 2 tens, the 1 twelve, the 4 ten? I was just curious....

9. Quadzilla

I have the 1x15, 4x10 and 2x10. I may eventually sell the 4x10 only because it is a beast to haul (but it does sound awesome) and rarely gets used cause the 2x10 and 1x15 stack suite most of my needs unless we start playing some huge venues and at that point the PA would prob do all of the work. The only issue with me selling the 4x10 is that it oly sells for $249 new so it's hardly worth the trouble of selling it for less. Again it sounds so great I have a hard time selling it.

If I had to pick one configuration it would be the 1x15 plus the 2x10. This can get you thru almost any venue and if it's a small one, you can just take the 2x10 by itself.

If you only play in your basement and not out too much or small venues only, get the 1x12.

10. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Quadman...Thanks for taking the time and energy to do the review. I enjoy reading your comments!

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Did you by any chance try the 2x10 with the 1x12? How do you think this would compare with the 2x10 coupled with the 1x15? Do you think it'd make much of a difference?

G RICH 5 likes this.
  12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hrm...getting evil thoughts...

sell my speakers

buy goliath sr or henry the 8x8 for big gigs

buy avatar 112 (or some other 112 if i have the bread) and ~200W amp for small gigs.

you'd say it was as loud as the 2x10?

13. Quadzilla

Blackshole: No I did not try the 2 together yet, I will...

Warwick5S: The B112 was a bit louder in my house at 2 or 3 on my Hartke because it is more efficient, but I feel that once I really pumped up the volume and wattage the 2x10 is louder because it pushes more air and can handle more wattage. For larger gigs I would stick to the 2x10 unless you are looking for true portability and that is where the 112 shines!!!

14. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Hey Quad how do you think a GK 400RB-lll would perform with two of these cabs? I'm thinking either a Avatar 2x10 with a 1x15 or the B112 with Compact 15. The GK pushes 240 watts @ 4 ohms so I'm thinking the cabs might be underpowered.

15. Quadzilla

With only 240 watts, I'd prob go with the 1x12 and 1x15 compact. But if you have ANY plans of upgrading that head in the foreseeable future go with the 2x10 and 1x15 (standard, not compact). The 2x10 and 1x15 sound AWESOME together!!! Your head would still power those ok, just maybe not to mega volumes.

16. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    IMHO the scaling of the prices of the GK amp heads is such that for the relatively small difference,it's well worth it to go for the 700rb or even the 1001rb,especially if you go to Mars Music who is dropping the brand GK and blowing out all remaining stock.They have the 700rb for $449 at the one near me...

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I have a GK400RB-III and an Avatar 2x10 and an SWR Workingman's 1x15T. I am playing a small gig with just the 2x10 tommorow... let you know how that turns out.

i think that the GK has plenty of power for a 2x10 and a 1x15. in my case it does anyway.

18. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    i have an ampeg b2r and i play in a loud hardcore/noise group. i am interested in avatar( one of my guitarists has a 4x12). i was wondering should i go with a 4x10 or a 2x10/1x15 stack. would just the 2x10 be loud enough. b2r's are 350 at 4 ohms and 200 at 8.

19. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    Yea, how would the 410 hold up by itself in a fairly loud setting w/ plenty of power behind it? I'm wanting to get into a single cab setup but don't want to sacrifice much in the way of frequency response or volume. Wishful thinking?

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Quadzilla, where are you located in Maryland?