Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I am considering getting one of either of these cabs. I have an Ampeg 410 that I love, but the thing weighs 122 lbs. Too much to drag to practice. Here's where the Avatar comes in. I could get one of the single 15 cabs with no tweeter and use it for practice, and pair it up with the Ampeg for larger gigs. The CB115 doesn't go as deep as the B115, but it is lighter, smaller and less expensive. Which one would you recommend to match up with the Ampeg BXT-410?
  2. I think the cb is like 20 bucks less and weighs 20 pounds less. Go for that if portability is an issue. Maybe you should look at the 2x10. That is a sweet cab.
  3. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I just bought an Avatar 210 and a CB115H. When I get'em dialed in I'll post something concrete. All I'm able to do now is praise their value, construction and portability.

btw: If you're buying a 115 why wouldn't you get the horn? You don't have to use it, but if you ever wanted to just use that one cab, you'd have it.
  4. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I think if you have a horn with a crossover, say at 3KHz, and you turn the horn all the way off, you're effectively blocking all frequencies over 3KHz. I would think that without the horn and crossover, the 15 might be good for another 1-2KHz above the crossover point, and that treble will be a lot more subtle and less "crisp" than the horn.
  5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Not so sure about that theory that a crossover would block all over 3k. The Avatar cabs run the woofer full range and the level control dials in the amount of horn that's added to the woofer's output.

Also, it might pay to look at the CB112...it's actually tuned slightly lower than the CB115 and handles plenty of power. I've been really happy with mine paired with a GK 700RB head.