Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wushuguy, May 11, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I got my Avatar B115H (8 ohm) last week and just got my GK 400RBIII to use with it. I'm getting some serious farting when I barely push the GK. I have the preamp volume at 12:00 and the master set at 9:00. I've tried every other combonation of these also. Anytime there is any significant volume, the Avatar just farts, even with the bass down to 9:00. The amp only puts out 180W with the one cab. The Avatar should be able to handle that with no problem, right?
    So do I have a defective cab, or do you think the problem might be elsewhere. By the way, I'm using a Lakland 55-01 (my only bass at the moment). Thanks for any help.

2. What's your "boost" setting?

3. I just got one of those B115H cabs, and I have had no problems...what if you chained the cabs together? That's what I do and it produces a 4 ohm load, so you'll have more power.

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    First of all Id just like to say GREAT NAME AND AVATAR(Huge Jet Lee Fan here)

I think your problem is getting more headroom from the amp have you tried turning the mast way up and the pre down? Does that help at all?

AJ

5. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah, Jet's good. :)

I've had my boost setting anywhere from 0 to 3:00. It doesn't make any difference with the farting. I've also tried turning the pre down and master up, and vice versa. Doesn't work.
    I haven't tried adding another cab yet as I don't have one. I will be able to when I go to class on Monday. My teacher has a 4x10 hartke that I can try. If that's the case, then I'm quite a bit disappointed. I bought the B115H so that I could use it as a stand alone until I can afford another cab, which may be a while.
    Even if the amp doesn't have a load of headroom, the cab should still be able to handle it, right? Any other advice?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is exactly why I love having more than one amp and more than one speaker cab. I can swap and change till I find out which unit is playing up. Can you get your hands on another amp?

7. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah, tomorrow I'll be able check things out with my teachers rig. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed without sending the cab back.

8. I recently aquired a GK 400RB-III, Avatar C115 and an Avatar B112. The Avatar cabinets are the older style with the Kappa drivers. All the equipment was purchased used. Have played them both together and seperately. With the preamp volume set to 12:00 and the boost turned all the way down, I can run the master almost all the way up with no problems. This is with an active bass too. The B115H should handle everthing the 400RB can handout to the point of clipping the amp. The horn isn't fried, is it? :confused:

9. You're running 180 watts into a 1x15. You are most likely clipping your amp. I doubt it's the cab. I think you're just asking too much for that amount of power.

10. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hmm... well, I can definitely see the speaker flop as it farts. This is my first rig, so I don't know if an amp clipping will cause the speaker to fart like that. No clipping lights are coming on on the GK also. It's not the horn either, I can definitely see it in the speaker. If I turn the boost all of the way down and have the pre set to 12:00, I can't even get the master to 10 or 11:00 without it farting. Is it just because it's a 15"? If I had the 210, would that work better?

11. The clip LED is only for the preamp, it will not idicate if the main amp is clipping. That 15" speaker in that cabinet should be an Emience Kappa Pro (or Delta), rated at 600 RMS, yes? With GK's active EQ, a little goes a long way; little adjustments can make big changes in sound. If your EQ is set flat, including the contour and presence, preamp at 12:00, master at 11:00-12:00 and boost turned down, you should be thumping away with room to spare. If not, somethings amiss and the answer is not replacing this cabinet with a 2x10. Time to connect the amp to another speaker cabinet, and another amp to this cabinet and isolate the source of the problem.

12. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    You need more amp! :p

13. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I play a GK 400RB (one of the old ones 200W @ 8 ohms) and before I got my 2x10, I ran straight into my 8 ohm 4x10 Avatar cab, rated at 1200W. I leave the Master volume at halfway up and then the volume about a 1/4 of the way up. Always make sure your Master volume is your highest volume, and I just leave my boost off~Josh

14. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I second this!!

15. To really find out what is wrong you going to need to borrow another cabinet and another amp head. 1st set up the borrowed amp and plug your bass into it and make sure it isn't the guitar. If everything sounds OK then hook the borrowed amp head to the Avatar speaker. If distortion happens then the problem is probably the Avatar, if no distortion then the problem is probably the GK. Hook the GK up to the borrowed cab to verify that the problem is the GK. While 180 watts isn't going to blow your pants off, it should be able to produce a decent volume. When you say "significant" I am assuming just that. Good Luck.

16. yup!

17. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for all of the help so far guys.

I know its not the guitar, as it sounds great on my practice amp and my teachers rig. I'm going to my lesson tonight, so I'll be able to mix and match amps and cabs.

The GK I'm using now was the floor model at Guitar Center. They're ordering a new one for me, with the option of either taking that one, or the 400rbIV when that comes out. Hopefully the 400rbIV will be released later this month.

Hopefully this problem will be resolved tonight. Thank again.

18. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I believe I've found out what's wrong. I think it's the preamp in the GK. My teacher and I tried swapping our rigs every which way to see what worked and what didn't. The Avatar sounded fine through his SWR head. But his cabs started farting with the GK also.
    The clipping light for the pre on the GK never comes on. The light works (It will sometimes come on when I turn off the amp and unplug my bass), but we had the pre maxed and still didn't get any clipping lights. Even though we had the pre set relatively low (below 12:00), we figured it was still clipping. The only way to stop that was to turn the bass wayyy down, which kind of defeated the purpose of me getting the 15". I'm taking the amp back to GC tomorrow, and waiting for the one that they ordered for me. If this is just the way that the GK 400rbIII's are designed (poorly in my opinion), then I'll have to go with something else. Hopefully this is just a problem with the particular amp that I have. Either that or something that the 400rbIV fixes. Thoughts anyone?

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gk are usually excellent quality. If the one you're playing was once a shop demo unit, it's probably been dropped, had drinks spilled on it, and generally not been looked after. I say give the replacement a go.

20. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Considering this is the floor unit, and they're ordering me a new one, I have to wait and see how the new one is. If it has the same problem (rbIV also), I'll definitely check that out. If I don't decide to go with something else that is.