1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avatar B210 Neo + SVT-3Pro VS. Mesa Walkabout Scout 12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Just like the title says. I need to make a choice, preferably soon as I've actually lost sleep over this :help:. Sad but true.

I'm currently gigging with an Avatar B410 Neo and my SVT-3Pro, and I'm seriously considering downsizing to either of the 2 aforementioned choices. In addition to having repeated sore back spells, I realized that I don't need a 4x10 rig because 98% of the gigs my friends and I play are at places with proper PA support and soundguys/gals (yes gals). Originally I thought of downsizing to a single 15" cab but I've decided I like the sounds that 10's produce better.

The choice would normally be easy - just downsize to the B210 Neo and keep my 3Pro, but a like-new 12" Walkabout Scout combo just popped up in the local market here and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Thoughts?

2. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    :bag:

3. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I used to have an SVT3-Pro in the nice case with the side handles and Ampeg logo. Must have weighted at least 50 lbs.

I now have the Walkabout Scout combo 12. Good choice, sounds similar to the SVT3, probably because the design is similar. As good as it sounds, I begun using the head with my Carvin RL115 4 ohm cab. With the EQ flat, it sounds nice and fat, with a substantial volume increase over the Mesa cab.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Dunno if the combo will have enough power for you, but if the amp you have does and sounds good, and all you wants is a smaller cab, I'd go the 2X10 route and know you have the power and tone you need. Hell keep the 4X10 and buy a 2X10 of the same impedence so you can use them together in case you end up with a bigger gig or just for the hell of it.

5. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    What would the price difference be? If you like the sound you are getting now, the avatar seems like a cheaper and more logical solution. I would only get the mesa if its not going to cost a lot more and you think it would be fun to try a new sound out. Of course "a lot more" is subjective.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use the Walkabout Scout 12. It has plenty of volume and tone for me. But if you're coming from a good 4x10 cabinet you might find it a little less on the bottom at high volumes than you're used to. It's a single 12" speaker after all. The Walkabout though has a bigger bottom than any other 12" cabinet I've heard and the head is fantastic. With an extension cabinet added to the combo I could handle any reasonable room. I doubt I'll ever want any other amp and I've been using this one for about 3 years.