Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Apr 18, 2004.

1. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I have a Mesa Boogie bass 400+ head and it has different outputs for 8ohms and 4ohms. Im going to buy an avatar B210 and you can choose to get that cabinet in 4 ohm or 8 ohm form. Which one should i get? Will my choice affect my sound? I dont know much about ohms. Thanks

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I don't know about you but I think an Avatar cab would hurt the true sound of the 400+.

3. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Well im on a tight budget and i want something that is pretty portable and easy to take around. I would get a ampeg 410HLF but i waiting for a while till i can get some more money later this year. I think i should get a 210 though. What do you suggest I do?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd say go with the 8. And I don't think that an avatar cab will hurt the sound of the 400+. They just don't have a HUGE low end, but they are not HUGE cabs, either. With the 8 Ohm cab, you can expand the rig a bit if you decide to add a single 15 or a 410 cab later.

5. For the price the Avatars are good cabs. You should buy an 8 ohm cab, IMO. When you later add a 2nd 8 ohm cab then you're Mesa will provide you with its full power.

I played the Mesa M2000 over 2 Avatars, one 2x10 and a 2x12 and it sounds very decent. The horn is a little harsh, so you shouldn't turn it higher than 9:00 o' clock.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The beauty of a tube amp is that you can match the output impedance of the amp to the cabinet and get full power transfer at different impedances...

What I'm getting at is that it doesn't matter which you get...so I'd go with 8 ohms as well as it allows you to add another cabinet in the future and still match the Mesa...

7. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    So is there any other small two speaker cabs that i would want to look into over the avatar or is the B210 the cab i should put in my rig?

8. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    What about a GK 210? Thats right around the same price range. Would that give me better tone with the 400+ than the avatar? (Make sure you consider the long run too once i eventually get an ampeg 410HLF)

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you really want a 410HLF, why not just get one from the start. Used, they're not "that" much more than buying a new 2x10 and you'll have what you want from the get-go.

The low end of most 2x10s isn't going to compare to what you'll get out of a 410HLF...

10. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Ive played an ampeg SVT 610HLF and it sounded great. How will this compare to the SVT 410HLF? I dont have enough cash or room to get the 610 but im thinking of going with the 410 right now.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The 410HLF is good. The 610 is my second favorite Ampeg cabinet after the PR-410HLF. The PR is more expensive but is an incredible cabinet. I'd love to have a pair but my back would never take it...

12. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Buy an Avatar B212 now and a B210 when you have the funds.

Just my opinion, of course...