1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avatar b212 delta general thoughts + reccomend a head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flea claypool, Sep 22, 2008.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Really considering buyin a Avatar b212 in the next few weeks.. just wondering from people that have them and use them or have played general thoughts?? i really want a 12" speaker its got the whole in between the 10's tightness and 15's boom and the only crowd i can find that make 12's are eden and ebs all over 1000euro per cab.. where as i can get a avatar for 550.. are they actually any good?? :meh:

secondly what head would one recommend?? im looking at the GK 700 and the Ampeg B2.. any other suggestions???

2. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    I absolutely love my avatar delta b212. I would love another to stack on top, too! It really is top quality, and the sound is great. Right now I have a separate pre/poweramp setup, with a crown ce1000 pushing 900 watts into it. Works great!

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    by god that is sweet.. im really taken by then.. they seem really great pieces of kit.. any heads??

4. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    Well I'm pretty sure it's rated at 1000 watts rms, so any head with a lot of power behind it should do. My holy grail is a sansamp RPM to go with my poweramp!

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    its 500 watts at 4/8 ohms... eeeek?? well thats what the site says

6. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    The 500 watt 212 currently on the site is for the new(er) cab with neodymium drivers. The older Delta driver cabs are rated at 1000 Watts RMS, as I understand it.

7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    oh right?? its just named the delta on the site.. well id be getting a new one.. i dont have the need for 1k watts!! in terms of bigger name brands what make would you associate it with the most our does it have its own voice

8. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    Oh OK. On the site they now have even newer neo cabs, with deltalight drivers (those are different from the old delta drivers, the 'light' signifies the use of neodynium magnets.)

Anyways, I think the cab sounds great, but I don't have a lot of experience with direct comparisons between it and other cabs. I got mine as a volume upgrade to my acme b2, which is really a hifi and upscale cab. I don't think I could tell the difference between the two when played live in a band setting though :bag: hence I'm selling the acme!

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ya im more of a guy to rely on the tone of the bass then the tone of the amp so i just like a neutral sounding amp SWR being too hifi and so on and so fourth... i think EBS is one way but there huge money.. hmm problem being we dont have much in terms of gear over here

10. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    I would say that the avatar has a nice flat response, esp. compared with an SWR.

11. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    can i ask... do you work for them :L

ya i think im sold

12. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I run an Ampeg V4 into my 212 neo and it sounds great. We used it as the backline for a party we hosted this past weekend. (3 bands) One of the other bass players wanted to trade rigs or buy it off me. He said the Ampeg was really full and warm and the Avatar really punched the sound through clearly. Great description of the sound IMHO. I love it.

IMG_1425.

13. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    god damm it thats a nice set up.............................. ya im sold i think a ampeg B2r is the way for me :)

14. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    lol no I don't work for them, but I don't understand why anyone would buy another brand! Well, I would take a mesa rig if I could afford it! At least my avatar weighs considerably less!

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    You just described my rig in high school. It was SansAmp RPM & RBI into a Carvin DCM2000 power amp into an Avatar B212-i forget if I had Delta or Kappa speakers.

I loved the tone of that combination. Enough low end to rattle a room without getting boomy.