Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar B212 need some help! Soon!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SIRPHYSCO1, May 12, 2004.

1. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    I recently purchased a SWR 350 Bass head and i am now looking for a cabinet. i came apon the avatar B212 it it looks good. will it give me enough power at 8ohms for a medium gig? also if i add a b210 will my amp have enough power to power both the b212 and b210?
    does anyone have any suggestions for other avatar cabs (i like the prices)? if so plz help i have a battle of the bands comming up an no loud amp! :help: :confused:

thx-

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I would say Yes and Yes...

The Avatar cabinets are pretty efficient so the 200 to 350 watts of your bass 350 should be pretty loud.

The B212/B210 combo sounds really good...the 12s do the lows nicely and the 10s add the upper mids. I've also added a 15 for more fun, but think that the 12s and 10s would be a good gig setup.

Where are you located?

3. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Charlottesville,VA

Will it be okay with just the b212 for awhile while i get the $ for the 210 or 115?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd think so...

Too bad we're not closer together or I'd let you give my cabinets a whirl.

Good luck!

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I second that opinion. 2x12's would do you nice while you save up. Better that than the 2x10's at first because you'll get the lows and decent mid-highs. Actually, it'll help you build your opinion on what kind of sound you really like, who knows, you may even end up getting a 1x15 instead of the 2x10! Maybe... :eek:

Question: What would you guys think of a 1x12 under 2x10's? I'm thinking of trading in my B410 for a more portable and optional setup of the SB112 w/ B210. Eh? Would that be a drastic change from my B410? If so, how? I already am guessing I'll get less volume, but it's not like I've ever fallen short on volume with my B410. Shoot, 99.9% of the time, I'm turning WAY DOWN!

With that proposed new setup of SB112 and B210, I'm looking to get a slight bit more lows while still retaining the punch, relative to my B410. Or should I just put a 1x15 under those 2x10s? Big difference? I'm really confused... :help:

-T

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You wouldn't be giving up too much cone area by going from a 4x10 to a 2x10 and a 1x12. 2x10s have about the same area as 1x15 so a 12 will have a little less cone area.

I would think the SB112 and B210 would be a nice pair. You could take either cabinet individually if you didn't need both. The lows from the 1x12 should be pretty good... I like the sound of Delta 12LFs...

It would be a nice portable setup.

If you didn't mind eating the return shipping on a 1x15 or a 1x12, you could buy all three cabinets and hear what works best for you. :D

7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the advice BillyB. Yeah, I really wish I COULD compare the 15 and the 12 w/ 2x10s and return one! Hmm...is $30 worth it for me to evaluate a rig I'm planning to keep for a long time? Good question...I'll have to think about that one...

Anyway, back to the point of this thread, yeah SIRPHYSCO, pick up that 2x12 and I really don't think you'll have a problem with rockin' that BOTB. The 2x12s will give you enough of an all around sound for that day, and without the 2x10s, you'll only lack a bit more punch and definition (and of course volume) but I think it would do (unless you are playing outdoors not mic'd/lined in, or in a humongous room).

Good luck!

-T

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sir, I've got a B212 for sale if you're interested. It's an 8 ohm model in excellent condition. I can save you at least $70 over a new one from Dave @ Avatar.

Alan

9. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>>> I've got a B212 for sale if you're interested

This is a cab I've read alot of good input on .
    Why are you selling it and what have been your experiences with it?

10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chip, I'm selling to buy a B210. Had a bike wreck and need lighter cabs. The B212 puts out mondo low end booty. It is a great standalone if you don't need a bunch of high mids or will add tons o' bottom to any rig.

Alan

11. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Thanks Alan,
    Sounds like more good words on this cab.

Chip