1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LukeSlywalker, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Anyone have any experience with these cabs? With either I would upgrade to the deltalite option. I'm looking to get a lighter rig and these two are in my price range. Replacing a Yorkville 1510 that sounds great but is way too heavy. I'm using an Eden WT550 and play funk/jazz/rock .
    Also interested in other 212 4ohm options around 500$. Thanks

2. And yes I searched the boards but could not find any reference to the b2126 or comparing them

3. For most gigs I have FOH support . This will mainly be a practice rig , stage monitor, and the occasional bar gig

4. if you're getting it with a mid, go with the kappalite 3012lf drivers that they have. more power handling, more low end, and the dedicated midrange driver to boot. If you just want the tweeter, the deltalites are great. To be honest, I've heard very little other than good things about avatar's stuff. If I were on your side of the border, I'd probably have one, but with shipping and duty as they are, I've opted out.

shawshank72 and LukeSlywalker like this.
  5. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    If you get the ceramic speakers they have pretty reasonable mid-range response on their own so it's a bit of a tossup (supposedly their standard neos are very similar but I couldn't say). Personally I don't like tweeters anyway (mine are always off), and the dial on the back let's you reel in or crank the 6 to taste. If it were me, I'd get the 6, but that might not be you.

If you get the Kappa 3012LF's then DEF get the 6. I threw a 3012 in my tweetered cab and there is a very noticeable hole in the mid-range. It is only usable as a sub, not a stand-alone "full range" cab.

LukeSlywalker likes this.
  6. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    I have a B2126 w/deltalites on order. I should have it in a little over a week. I've used an old SWR Goliath II 410 for many, many years, and finally trying to move into something lighter. I hope I like it (no return policy with Avatar). If not, I'll be listing it in the classified section.

7. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

Feb 11, 2013
    Please do a review on it when you get it! I haven't seen anything about the b2126. I tried out a b212 at practice the other day and loved the way it sounded alone but I felt like it didn't cut through as well as I was expecting, I'm thinking the b2126 will do that better. We were also playing in a tiny room so maybe that was my problem, who knows.

8. Please post a review when you can! I'm very curious how the deltalites sound with the midrange instead of a tweeter. You're order is exactly what I was thinking to get

9. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    I'll do my best. I've been playing for many years, and I know what "I" like as far as what sounds good, but I don't always know "why" it sounds good. I still have the SWR Goliath II 410, so I can use that as a benchmark.

TAZ and LukeSlywalker like this.
  10. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    BTW, I tried a GK 212 II Neo (not live; but in my living room), and thought I liked it until I did a side by side with the SWR Goliath II 410. Don't know if it was the GK tweeter, difference between 10" and 12" speaker voicings, or something else, but it just didn't seem as musical. There was a little bit of a harshness to it. I'm using a GK MB500 head, so I would think the GK cab had an advantage, but I couldn't seem to get the EQ set to where I liked what I was hearing. Strange, as I've read alot of people giving the GK 212 Neo lots of love.

Of course, playing the GK on stage would have been a better test, but I didn't want to take the chance of scuffing/damaging it since the place I bought it from has a return policy. Until I did the comparison, I might have taken the chance, but it went back. Since Avatar doesn't have a return policy, I'm going to use it on a gig either way as what might not sound good in the living room might just be the ticket in a band situation.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Based on all I've been able to gather, I'd say the OP might want to qualify this advice somewhat. The Kappalite 3012LFs put out an impressive amount of low end. And they put out an impressive amount of volume. But they are relatively inefficient, requiring a pretty hefty amount of power to reach optimum performance.

The Eden WT550 is a nice amp. But it doesn't offer the kind of power needed to really do justice to the Kappalites, in which case the added expense, and added capability, of the Kappalites would be wasted.

Put all together, this means that if the OP can make good use of the expanded room-filling potential of the Kappalites, and can justify obtaining/using the extra power needed to drive them to that full potential, then the Kappalites might be a good choice. Otherwise, maybe not so much - in which case the Deltalites, or the Faitals, or even the Deltas, might make for a better match.

All of this also assumes that the off-the-shelf Eminence two-way 1.6 kHz crossover that Avatar offers for use with its Kappalite LF enabled cabs is well-matched in the real world. AFAIK, the jury is still very much out on that point, as Avatar's integration of the Kappalite LF woofers into its existing 1x12 and 2x12 configurations is still very new, and its performance still unproven.

MM

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    bradjonesbass and LukeSlywalker like this.
  12. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    After talking with Dave (at Avatar), and the fact that I only play 4 string basses, the ceramic speakers might have been a better choice, but one of my main objectives is reduced weight, so I went with the Neos. The reason I didn't go with the Kappalites is because they have even better low end response than the Deltalites, but I just don't need that kind of LF. Heck, I almost bought a Hartke Hydrive 410 because it's sealed. If the Avatar doesn't work out, I'll likely give it a try.

13. I guess I forgot about the power handling and sensitivity of the kappalites, my bad

14. Thanks guys. Anyone know any differences in the deltalites or the Faitals? Both say neo and are a 50$ upgrade from the ceramics . Thanks

15. Deltalites are an eminence driver, I think made to custom OEM spec's to emphasize lower frequencies a bit, the faitals are an Italian make. I can't really tell exactly what the differences are aside from that. There both good drivers from what I've heard, but I haven't played either, my 212 has B&C drivers in it, and I like them just fine.

16. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I suspect you'll like the Deltalites just fine. If anything, it's the ceramic Deltas (along with the Neo Kappalites) that Dave recommends for ERBs - not the Deltalites, which should be more than adequate for any four-string bass.

I actually looked into this myself. The Deltalites in question are Avatar's OEM version of the Eminence 2512-II model, which Eminence has configured for deeper low bass response. Given that even the stock Deltalite 2512-IIs are regarded as a fine choice for four-string bass, with Dave's custom version you should have no worries at all.

MM

17. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    I picked the Eminence Neo because it is a custom OEM spec (as pie_man_25 stated) whereas I think the Faitals were a buyout from Genz Benz(?). I don't think they'd put a driver in the cab if the specs didn't match up with the design, but I figured I'd go with the driver that they defined the specs on.

18. pkirsch_nh

pkirsch_nh

Oct 20, 2014
    I have the B212 with the Faitals and use a Fender Rumble 500 Head with it. I also have a Fender Bassman 50 Head, 1968 that I have used with it.
    I play a Ric 4003 and a Jazz Bass and play everything from punk to funk to a fair amount of 90s/2000s rock

Every time I play somewhere every musician in the room comments to me how incredible the bass sounds. The 212s sound huge and just fill a room. I could not be happier with the cabinet and how light it is as well. I was replacing the matching Bassman 2x12 fridge style cabinet.

lo-freq and Mystic Michael like this.
  19. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    By now jebersole must have had his new B2126 for about 10 days or so. Perhaps he could come back to favor us with his impressions of its tone and performance?

MM