1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LukeSlywalker, Mar 4, 2015.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have a 4 ohm B212 Neo (Deltalite) that I use with a GK MB Fusion 500 head. Love the tone and it's louder than I will ever need.

LukeSlywalker and Mystic Michael like this.
  2. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    It passes the living room test, and I predict the attenuator for the mid-driver will act as sort of a presence knob and not just to add that high end sizzle if I had gone with the tweeter. I won't be "gigging" it until this weekend, so I'll try to write something up next week.

MascisMan likes this.
  3. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    jebersole- care to add any description of how it sounds? Or what it compares to?

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I think this cab (with the G-B Faitals) may be one of the best-buy cabinets in bassdom at the moment.
    Congrats!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    LukeSlywalker and pkirsch_nh like this.
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I'm torn between the Faitals and the Deltalite IIs to go with the 6" mid and 1.6KHz XOver.

Will be powered with a TH500 and the cab will probably be 8 ohms (in order to add a second cab in the future). Mainly J, P, and P/J basses in an Americana/Folk/Rock band.

6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Update, I have ordered the B2126 with the Deltalite II's and 2.5KHz crossover. We will see what happens!

LukeSlywalker and pkirsch_nh like this.
  7. stevecaronna

stevecaronna Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    St Rose Louisiana
    MascisMan do you have an update as to how this cab sounds. I am considering it and I have the Th500 but am playing 5 string so I am wondering if I will get the same sound.

8. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey scaronna, it arrived yesterday and looks great. I'm going to mess around with it tomorrow and I will report back.

LukeSlywalker likes this.
  9. stevecaronna

Nov 19, 2007
    St Rose Louisiana
    Cool, I can't wait to hear about it. thinking about getting the same thing this summer maybe with the Faitals but once you report back that may make up my mind.
    Thanks
    Steve

10. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ok got some time to play through the cab this morning. I used a P-Bass and a PJ (both 4 strings) through a TH500. Nothing in between. Just bass/amp/cab. The cab is 8 ohms so it is only receiving 250w.

I really really like it. It is obviously very mid heavy and so it sounds like it would lend itself well to rock music. It is missing the low end "bloom" possible out of a ported 4x10 or a 1x15. With a pick, it is perfect for rock though.

I am not a fan of sizzly treble highs so the 6" mid is very welcome to me. I can still dial in some clarity with it, but more of a vintagey clarity rather than a hi-fi clarity if that makes sense. The attenuator on the back provides a very useable range for the mid speaker. All the way off and the cab sounds super vintage. Almost woolly (but still useable). All the way up and it is much more balanced and more full of a range (note: not "full range").

In fact, that is how I would characterize this cab. Warm, vintagey tone, with smooth, rounded off highs. The TH500 seems mid-bumped to me in general so I think it is a good match, assuming that is the sound you are going for.

As far as 5 strings. I honestly have no idea how that low B would sound. I wish I had one on hand to try through it. If you are wanting boomy lows this cab may not be the best for you or your 5 string. I guess it depends on what you want.

Keep in mind also, these opinions are based on me playing solo in my garage. I'm sure I won't truly have a feel for it (or a solid opinion on it) until I can get it in to the rehearsal space. For the same reason, I am probably going to couple it with a B115, TB153 or another B2126 for larger and/or outdoor venues. All depends on how it sounds in the mix.

Another sidenote. Mine doesn't have the Faitals. I went with the Deltalite II's. Not sure how different the Faitals would sound.

stevecaronna and Mystic Michael like this.
  11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Adding a second B2126 would no doubt make your rig a force to be reckoned with. I'd like to hear that.

As for the frequency response of the woofers, your experience confirms what I suspected about the Deltalites. I wonder how much more deeply-voiced and authoritative the cab would sound, if you had used Delta 12 LFs instead.

MM

12. stevecaronna

Nov 19, 2007
    St Rose Louisiana
    Thanks for the feedback on the cab, I will read the specs about the other speaker options, perhaps a different speaker will have different results. As Mystic Michael says about using the Delta 12 LFs instead, my concern is that it is going to be a little different when I play my 5 string. The description says it has tons of deep lows perfect for 5 or 6 string bass guitars so I think with the right speakers it will serve me fine. Again thanks for the feedback.
    Steve

13. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    You bet. And don't get me wrong. The B2126 (w/Deltalites) may have enough lows for your 5 strings. I am speculating and could be completely wrong. Just don't have one on hand to verify.

14. stevecaronna

Nov 19, 2007
    St Rose Louisiana
    Also, you got the 8ohm and I will get a 4 ohm so I will be pushing the full 500 watts out of my TH.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  15. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    True!

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    So jebersole, it's been more than three months now. How has that B2126 been performing for you in rehearsals and on gigs? Inquiring minds need to know... ;)

MM

17. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    Hey MM,

The purchase of the Avatar has been just another chapter in my quest to solve problems that I've been in denial of over the last few years. I use in-ear monitors at a club we play regularly, which DOES solve (band-aids) these problems, but when we play outdoor festivals/weddings/other venues, I don't use the in-ears (rarely enough time), and am quickly reminded of why I bought them to begin with. Without going into specifics, I think most musicians, and unfortunately, many sound men, don't understand the concept of frequency slotting, and I think it's the low frequencies that suffer the most. I combat this by turning up so I can hear myself, then immediately get the dirty looks. Besides, there's a certain point of loudness where my technique goes right out the window, and that's when it stops being fun.

So, to answer your question, I think this is a great cabinet, but I have yet to really "hear" it the way I want to live. I don't know what I'll do next, but I have always been wanting to try a sealed cabinet. I doubt this will change anything; I won't be able to really hear it anyway!!! ;-(

--Jason

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    You might want to try something by one of these guys:
    https://m.facebook.com/michaelarnopolsoundworks
    https://m.facebook.com/AudioKinesis

19. Bumping this thread to get feedback.

20. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    Well, I'm pretty close to stepping away from the bar scene. My mind could change tomorrow, but there's a good chance the 2126 will show up in the classifieds to recoup some of the $$$ I've been throwing at this hobby. I still have the ancient (and very heavy) 4x10 I can always use.

nonrappingJZ likes this.