Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Jun 6, 2004.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well im in the midst of saving for a new amp and am debating on what cab setup i want. im looking to get a avatar B410 but am debating on which other cab i should get to accompany it. should i go with a B212 or the B115, i wanna add an additional cab to add more low end to it but dont know which i should get. i was first thinking of getting the B115 but i hear in some cases in certain rooms it can get too much boom, thats why im thinking about the B212. plus i some people say the B212 has just as much low end as the B115 if not more (does that have to do with both being tuned to the same frequency? dont know much about frequencies). plus i hear that the B212 has a much clearer tone then the B115, and ads punch and lowend so its like the best of both worlds. right now im thinking the B212 would be a better cab to go with, but i wanna hear more input and opinions on this. by the way the head im looking to get is the GK 1001rb-II if that makes any difference, and the type of music i mainly play is hardcore.

2. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    bump. anybody compare the two at all?

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    They are both very similar because the B115 is a punchy, not mushy, 15. However, the B212 is a little louder so that would match a 410 better. If you do get the B115 make sure you get the horn because without the horn either cab can't produce good highs for slap.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    True......and I agree.

I don't think of boomy, thunderous low end when I think of hardcore music. Of your choices, the 212 is the cab for you in this case fine sir.

-Mike

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If your not always going to use the B410 I think the B212 will be a slightly better stand alone cab than the B115. I've found that using two cabs at once is usually overkill anyway, so it's best to think about having 2 cabs that are good independently.

When I used my B212 AND my B115 at rehearsal the neighbors called and complained that the bass was too loud. (It brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye...lol)

6. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hahaha, well that'll be good i can blow away this kid that plays his guitar next door to where i live. i swear he seems to try and get my attention sometimes with his playing. i think he wants some aknowledgement from me or something.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    maybe he is looking for someone to jam with? that is exactly how i found the drummer i have been playing with for three+ years now.

-Mike

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If you're using the 15" purely to add lowend, you don't really need a tweeter. If you want to spend the extra cash, go for the 2x12"... it's more or less as deep as the 15", but it'll be louder and get better cut. According to the site, the 2x12 is the best sounding standalone cab. I doubt it'd be deeper than the 15", but it'd be faster, tighter, and better sounding overall. Go for it if you want to be able to use it as a standalone ( it's a lot lighter than the 4x10 ). If you'd rather save the cash though, and JUST want more lowend... go for the 15".

9. I have the B115 and the B212 cabs. I usually run them both together. What a fantastic low end from relatively inexpensive cabs.

The b212 does get low like the b115 but with much better clarity. If I had to do it again I would just get 2 b212 cabs. Don't get me wrong, the b115 kicks some low end but I really am impressed with the b212.

I am seriously considering getting a b210 to round out my rig. The possible combinations would be really cool.

If I were you I would get the b212 first! Sounds great by itself. You can decide from there if you would like more highs or lows and take it from there.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    jnightmare...where do you live?

11. I would just like to add that the B115 is certainly worth it for the price. I used to run it with a Hartke mx410 cab. The Hartke had very little bottom and the B115 did a good job of providing lows.

12. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i live in southern california.

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    jnightmare, I've got a B212 for sale over in the classified listings.

14. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    im a little curious, how can it handle a low b?
    does it break up or fart out at all?

15. nah, it handles the B great ( imo ). I have the 212 by itself right now but if I were to get another cab it would be the 210, you really dont need a 410 and 212.

16. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    how does avatar b212 stack up to other high end brands(eden, ebs, aguilar, etc...)
    I know cost is a huge difference, but how is the sound compared?

17. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    How about 2 B212's? You'd save money over the 410 212 set up.

Peace

-Ben

18. That would be my choice too.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Perhaps, but the Delta 10s add some nice upper mids to the mix...

20. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    I know, 2 212 cabs would sound nice, but how would a avatar 212 cab do if it were a/b'ed with higher end 212,
    thanks