1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sledgehamer73, May 30, 2012.

1. I tried searching on this specific combination, but didn't find what I was looking for. Believe me I have read all the negatives on mixing cabs but this set up wont really be intended as an all the time situation, but an, only if I really need it one.

I have a Carvin BX500 and an Avatar b212 already. I'm thinking of getting a small cab for just practice with a guitar player and Singer and small gig cab. I was looking at either the Avatar 112 or 210 or maybe an other brand like a Hartke hydrive or GK 112, maybe even tbe carvin bx210 neo, but I'm loving the Avatar I have.

My question, does anyone use a mixed setup like this and if so how does it sound?

I don't believe I would mix them at the same time for regular use, but if for some reason I needed a bit more volume, what would be the best sounding option? And would mixing say the Carvin 210 with the Avatar 212 be an issue? Again, I realize a second b212 would be the best, but I don't have the space in my car for 2x212's and I'd like a smaller portable cab anyway. Thanks. And my apologies if this is a redundant thread.

2. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I owned the Avatar b212 and b210 at the same time and did gig them together. If you are just looking strictly for volume then it was an okay configuration IMO. I also owned a Carvin BRX10.2 and thought it was MUCH better than the b210. To be perfectly honest, the b210 is one of my least favorite cabinets of all time. I've never played through Avatar's 112 do I can't comment there.

If you are looking for more volume and car space is an issue then I would consider moving to a 410, 2x115, or even a higher quality 212.

3. I love my b212 neo, I bought it used and no regrets. I needed something right away and it was a good deal. It sounds great and I believe it will be fine for at least the summer. But I think I see a Carvin brx210 Neo and brx410 in my future.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Add the Avatar 112, be sure it uses the exact same driver as those in your 212, with the 112 impedance twice that of the 212.

5. That is good to know. Thank you for that information. That is most likely the best short term solution and one which I just may use for quite some time.

6. Did you follow the man's advice in the end?

7. I did. I should be getting the SB112 soon. I think it will be a lot easier to haul it back and forth to band rehearsals than the 212.