Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blipndub, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Some guy just emailed me after I purchased a B212 on ebay asking me what I thought. Here are my comments. Will post more after rehearsal tonight.

-blip
    I'm still getting used to it and I have a new Mesa Walkabout that I'm still learning about too. Tonight's my first band rehearsal with it where I'll be able to push it a bit. I can follow up once i play with the band, but for first impressions it's a great cab. Very well built, like really, extremely solid no rattles or cheap construction. My Mesa's running at 175 at 8 ohms and it's very loud through this cabinet, lots of bottom (it's ported) and good clarity due to the tweeter (that has a gain control), solid midrange as you would expect from 12s. So far I'm not finding anything missing frequency wise and am not in need of an additional 15 or 210 or something.

I'll let you know how it holds up tonight at higher volume than i can play at home

As far as Avater, customer service was great. I won the auction and the owner/builder called me the next day and we talked about exactly what I wanted and i had it by the end of the week. I'm on the west coast and he's in ID so it's not hard, but he turned it around in a day. I'm really happy to have gone with a small independent builder rather than a giant like SWR or Ampeg - feels like money well spent.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, cool...another washington guy. those avatar 212's look really cool.

3. Just got home from work and my new B212D was waiting for me. Looks great, and Dave is the best!! He gave me a great deal as a repeat customer. Unfortunatly I won't be able to try it til the end of the week when my pre-amp shows up. I'm really looking forward to it!!!:bassist: :bassist: :D Later!

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, don't forget about us talkbass munkies when you guys try these things out at a decent volume. i'm kinda innerested in the 212...which 212 did you guys get?

5. I got the Delta...Italked to Dave beforehand and that's what he suggested for my application. I'll give a review as soon as I get a chance to use it.

6. I got the Delta as well.

We played last night minus our fired drummer (so we use an SR16 - ol reliable). The guys (guitarist and singer/guitarist) thought the bass sounded real nice and commented several times. They also commented on how sharp it looked and were surprised how good it looked considering what they knew I paid for it.

I've been running out of a 1x12 combo and never realized how muddy and uninteresting the sound was. With my new avatar and mesa head I was just slicing and dicing, laying it down!

The guitarists said he could simply hear me better, not just because of my volume but because of the clarity - he said it had omph and definition. I could hear myself better and found that it really helped my playing, no more rumbling around in the dark world but nice tight and clean notes sustained and solid right where i wanted them. No problems with the bottom end at all really wide range and i hold back really low freqs to avoid bomminess but the capability was there.

Volume-wise it took it all, the cab didn't break a sweat, although i did notice a good amount of vibration on the surface of the cab. With the tube pre in my mesa head i thought about the impact of those vibrations on hot tubes. I don't know if it was vibrating more than any other head. No rattling though which was good.

I remain thrilled with this cab

SERadtke - you guys get snow last night? I was hauling around my new gear during a damn ice storm in Oly.

7. No snow... windy as all get out though. Today it's pretty cold asn the wind is even worse. I LOVE winter but once it starts to warm up, I'm ready to have it stay that way!! So this weather today is bugging me. Up north (or nort as they say up there;) ) they're getting around 12" today!!! I'm ready for spring!

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the report. I am wanting one of these really badly (need a whole new rig).

9. just another thing i was remembering. i tried out a couple 410s when i was buying the mesa and both the Ashdown and Hartke while offering lots of good tone did not have the punch of the 212 cab. just another comparison.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    My two greatest concerns regarding 12s vs. 10s is punch and midrange tone. I plan to get either the B212 Delta or a couple of the B112 Deltas when they come out and later get a good 2x10 (like a Bag End D10BX-D or Berg HT210). Who knows, if the Avatar Bnx12s make me happy enough in that area, I might just double up on them without the 10s.

Hmmmm...two B212Ds or four B112Ds?

11. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I just got my B212 last week. I have not played with the band yet but have given it a workout in the practice room. I am driving it with an Ampeg B2R. I got the Delta LF's at 8 ohm. With about 200watts pushing it the sound is pretty good. It will break up on the E if pushed pretty hard (bass cranked up)but it really sings in the mids. I hooked up my Eden 115T with it for a 350 watt 4 ohm load. It really shook the house with this setup. I think it will be fine solo for practice and small gigs. I will team it with the 15 for larger shows.

Overall, great bang for the buck. $277 on ebay w/$39 shipping. Dave is really helpful.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the input.

Can't say for sure, but that is most likely the sound of your amp clipping. The B212D is rated for 700W.

13. OOOH! Not a good idea to be mixing 4 & 8 ohm cabs!!!

14. I've learned something.

I replaced everything at the same time, sold all this gear to buy the Walkabout and Avatar cab and then to top it off I thought I needed a new set of strings. Now I've got so many new variables it's becoming a little frustrating to hone in on the sounds that's right for me!

For all this new **** I think the strings are what's throwing me off. I'm struggling with a good solo tone (not like SOLO tone, but like a play alone/practice recording).

Just an observation.

Also I haven't experienced any distortion with loud lows on my avatar.

What's the Bnx12?

B&S -I think bassic meant that with the two cabs the load was down to 4 ohms altogether

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think I got into the same mode you are in and then I noticed that the issues I was concerned about went away when I was playing with a band at realistic club levels, so I don't worry about it much anymore. I found the best set of sounds from my bass guitar with a headphone amp (my bass has Bass/Midrange/Treble preamp controls and there a headphone output on my combo & a good pair of headphones). Then live I just tweak the tone settings for the environment (reduce boominess) and type of song we're playing. Kind of a two-step process of moving toward the sound I like.

Recording can be a bit trickier, depending on what equipment you have to work with.

The n in the Bnx12, I use like a variable. In the case of the Avatars, it could be a '1' or a '2', as in B112 or B212. The 'x' I guess shouldn't have been there since I was referring to a specific model.

16. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I think he meant he was getting a combined 4 ohm load, paralleling the 8 ohm 2x12 with an 8 ohm 15.

17. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I meant using 2 - 8 ohm cabs for a 4 ohm load.
    Thanks for your concern.

18. Ok, sorry, I was confused.