Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar B212 to replace Peavey 1820 (On Budget)???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snake:>~, Mar 5, 2004.

1. snake:>~

snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    Okay, a can of worms was opened for me when I posted asking about the Fender Bassman 410 Pro Sl to replace my Peavey 1820, and now I need to address the replacement differently. I have listened to you Avatar Advocates (just send me a free t-shirt if you use that for a club name or something...), and I must say that the experiences of many have lead me to investigate the Avatar line more fully. It seems to me that the Avatar B212 cabinet is a great overall combination to cover most any playing situation. In my case, the Peavey 1820 would (can, does ) cover any gig I might play (will be play everything from one 100 person club gig, an outdoor under pavillion 500+person gig, a Red Cross Fundraiser for 100X's?, a 200 person club gig and a 2,500 person gig this month alone), but "Bertha" is just sooo big and cumbersome, that after 12+ years I must change (takes up too much room in the house too...really, my wife confirms this frequently :meh: ). I appreciate everyone who has offered info and advice, and look forward to your responses here.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Lemme ask you,,, do you think that Avatar B212 is a good standalone cab? I've been toying around w/ upgrading, because my combo sounds a bit thin at times...

As such, I've been thinking of a standalone 4ohm cab, w/ a 300w head or power/pre config... All this jibberjabber of the Aggie 112's has me curious,,, but I don't wanna spend that much... Then, I see Avatar, & they get rave reviews for their 210, but, I play a 5 stringer think that'll be a little thin, too.

3. Get the 4 ohm cab. It's loud enough as a standalone and wallops the full wattage of your amp. It's also very compact. I play my Mesa Boogie M2000 over it on some gigs and it sounds very good. One thing, though, the Foster horn can be a little harsh, to avoid this do not crank it up more than 24% at the most.

very reliable cab and Dave is a very good guy.

hope that helps.

:bassist:

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The B212 rules! I've been using it as a standalone, but I would like to pick up a B210 to compliment it in the near future.

5. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    Thank guys. I am running a Peavey Megabass 400watt head that is basically 2-200w amps in one and lists 4 ohms as the load on the back. It has two low outs and two high outs (and it has a bi-amp / full range switch on the front). Now let's say that in the future I want to add a 2X10 or whatever, would the choice of an 8 ohm cabinet benefit me here? Also, is anyone using a similar amp with the B212 now as a stand alone, and if so, how is it volume wise?

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I can't answer your question about your amp since I'm not familiar with it and don't want to tell you the wrong thing...but what I can tell you is the B212 is loud when you put enough power into it. I use a PLX2402 and it's been as loud as I've ever needed. I got the 8 ohm delta version.

7. After checking out the Megabass head it would probably be better to get two 4 ohm cabinets.The 1820 cab you have can be biamped and I'm sure thats how you have been running it,with 200 watts at 4 ohms to the 210s and 200 watts to the 18. Since the head won't bridge you only have 200 watts at 4 ohms for one cabinet and this really wouldn't work for gigs that well.A better solution would be two 4 ohm CB112s or a CB112 and a CB115.I've been gigging with a pair of CB112s and I've found they can cover about any gig,just like the guys with the Avatar 212s say.If you do bigger gigs a CB115 with a 112 might give you a little better projection but I haven't heard any complaints about people not hearing my bass out in the room.One good thing about the 112 cabs is they only weigh 45 lbs and you can stack them on their side or upright for a tall slim stack.I've stacked them with the bottom cab upside down and the top cab right side up so the ports are combined and it seemed to add some low end.I play 5 strings and have no problems with the bottom end of these cabs or volume.It costs a little more for two cabinets but they sure are nice to haul around.Another good thing about two cabinets is I've found one 112 is loud enough to use at practice while my other one stays at home,saves on hauling a big cabinet everywhere.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You may want to order 2 of the SB112 8 Ohm cabinets. That way you could have the choice of using just one or two cabinets depending on the gig. Also much easier to carry to gigs. I spoke to Dave yesterday (actually ordered 2 of the SB112 cabinets) and he stated that the SB112 replaces the CB112 cabinet. Dave stated that so many players were buying the CB112 and stacking it on it's side to allow stacking other cabinets that he changed the grill so that it was rotated 90 degrees to match his other cabinets. He also slightly widened the SB112 so it would stack perfectly with the 2-10 cabinet that he makes. I've never played through the Avatar cabinets but based on the components used and the various reviews I've read I thought it was worth taking a chance on them. Talking to Dave was all I needed to remove any doubt. Looking forward to checking the cabinets out. :bassist:

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    check out dr. bass cabs. www.drbasscabs.com

his RX 212 is 25 lbs lighter, tuned a little lower, is smaller and costs about the same. I've heard good things about these, they just aren't yet as widely known as Avatar.

K

10. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Hmm... I think I've passed by the Dr. Bass site before, but haven't really looked much into it. Does anyone actually have one of these? Are they good?

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I did not see a 212 on the site. I saw a 210, 112, and 115.

-Mike

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Sometimes people say that Avatars don't go low enough. True they are punchy speakers that don't sound like mush. But this is a good thing.

As for low end, yesterday at rehearsal I was having fun moving stuff off my rack with the low end of my B212 while nailing a low C# and also shaking stuff on the walls. In fact the other day, I was rattling wood panel in my friends house while jamming...how's that for low end?

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    But, how does a Low B sound on your 55-01? Very curious cuz its what I play!

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hmm..my above story was with my Carvin (which is my main bass). I haven't used the 55-01 at high volumes in a while since the music I'm doing now calls for fretted, but that will change shortly. My band is doing "Hey you" by Pink Floyd and the 55-01 fretless nails that sound perfectly. That bass has a great B-string. I don't anticipate any problems with the B212 being able to handle it.

15. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    Does anyone own one of the Dr. Bass cabs? They do seem to be rugged little cabs with good specs, but I can't pull up much beyond the Harmony Central reviews of them and I think that was only 4 people. Anyone know where there may be more info posted? The RX 212 does exist, and not only that, but it really does look like a nice cab. I also spotted a 3-way cab with a 10, an 8 and a horn that looked kinda mean for such a small piece of equipment.