1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Personator, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Since this forum has become something of an avatar archive, I figure Ill post my experience with them. I got my B212 neo from the factory friday, and it sounded great as I was running through some rock/fusion/jazz stuff at a fairly low volume with the tweeter low. Then I remembered that I had to play 2 solo peices at a gig that night, so I turned some knobs to the 'Victor Wooten' setting and began. This involved turning the tweeter and volume up, but not anywhere near distortion levels. It sounded really good until I hit a 'G', and the the tweeter emitted a shrill, metallic buzz. It was fairly loud, and varied predictably with the volume of my playing, although it seemed to have a threshhold under which it wouldnt do it. I played around, and it did it for every 'G' and no other note. Tried another bass, same thing. Tested it again at the gig incase it was a room resonance issue, same thing. If I left every other knob the same and turned the tweeter off, it went away. I've emailed dave, no response probably becuase its the weekend.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm sure you'll hear back from Dave some time tomorrow.

Might be better to call...remember that they're on Mountain Time. He does respond to emails quickly though but probably gets a bunch over the weekend...

No matter what, you're in good hands...don't worry.

3. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I am no fan of tweeters in a bass cab. With the exception of my passive P bass, I can get all the highs I want through the bass or the amp or the combination. I normally use an SWR Silverado Special (2x12's) and I normally have the tweeter turned off.

There is a guy who removed the tweeter from an Avatar cab and replaced it with a (IIRC) 5" speaker, along with replacing the crossover as well. The whole project was more or less $80 (again, IIRC) and he raves about the sound. If you are interested, I could look him up and get a link to you to decide for yourself.

Mike

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'm very interested in this. please PM me that link if possible.

i find the tweeter pretty useless. it'd be nice to have a mid range driver for my 2 10s.

5. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    first one

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1063322&highlight=five+inch+speaker+avatar

second one

http://ebassist.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=45262&highlight=avatar

Actually, neither link is the one I was thinking of. . . :confused: You could easily PM Crescent7 - he seems to be a good guy and he could give you the specs and tips. The one I was thinking of (I believe) was Burdizzos or mlwarriner. I think that BOTH of them did it to a cab or two. On second thought, all three of them would be helpful and willing.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The 2nd order high pass filter used by Avatar is insufficient to protect the tweeter at high power levels. Check the the threads for the 4th order high pass filter project by Lovethat bass.

7. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Well right now im running 1/4 of 550 watts into a 1/4 open tweeter, and getting the buzzing, so Im not sure if that counts as a high power level. Either way, I want the thing working for a while before I start modding. This is my first real cab, and I want to enjoy it before I improve it/screw it up. The 5" mod does sound very interesting though. Ill definately keep that in mind in the future.

8. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I'm curious if the buzzing happens when you play any 'G' anywhere on the neck. Whenever I hear something that appears to be related to a specific note and it's upper partials I always think of a resonance issue (ie: something done come loose!). Maybe a quick check of all the screws holding the components into the cab is in order.

9. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Its any G, I checked all the screws holding the grille, and poked at the tweeter and it seems in tight. If it sounded like plastic on wood Id do the tweeter screws, but it doesnt, its high-frequency metal on metal.