Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morebass!, Feb 10, 2003.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I played my new Avatar 2x12 out for the first time on Saturday night. There aren't many reviews of this cabinet out there so I'll share some first impressions. First of all it moves some air! I was pushing it with 450 watts and those delta 12's really delivered on the low end. They handled my 5-string very well. Compared to the two Acme B2s it replaced the Avatar has more balls. I ran the Acmes with 450 watts a piece, which may not have been enough. Rather than buying a bigger power amp I sold the Acmes and bought the B212. I used a Peavey 210TX on top of it to give it more punch. The bar was medium-small and I played without PA support. I play fairly loud blues/rock/soul/funk. Both the guitarist and drummer commented on the improved sound.

It's easier to move than most 4x10s at only about 75 lbs and probably puts out more bottom without getting too mushy like 15s do. I'm happy with the 2x12 + 2x10 rig for now although I could still use more volume. I may replace the Peavey with an Avatar 2x10 at some point. I think most weekend warriors would be happy with the B212 by itself. I just happen to be in a trio, and a loud one at that.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks for the review...

So you think the lows are strong enough? I've dreamed of stacking the B212 delta on top of a B115 since I love the sound of my B112 and C15 together. However, my lousy back limits me to cabinets weighing 50 lbs or less...

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    how do you think the 2x10 with the 2x10 (all avatar) with 1000 watts going through it would hold up in a LOUD 4 piece rock band? i'm currently having a dilemma. see my earlier post for details. thanks.

4. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Yes the lows were very satisfying. It's been a while since I've used 15s but I'd say it's better than a single 15 but less than two 15s. The power handling (700 w) is better too.

I don't know about the Avatar 2x10, I just have the 2x12. I'd be skeptical of using two 2x10s for metal though. Even though they are rated at 700 watts too I'd want more than that. Some people have commented that the Avatar 4x10 is a little shy in the lows. It probably depends on how big a room and whether the PA is helping you out.

5. Anyone compared one of these B212 cabs to *2* avatar C15 cabs?
    I wondering wether the 2xC15's (daisychanied with a 210 on top run off second amp output) will give more oomph than the B212 but retain portability.
    In theory the 212 LF model should have better bass response because of the larger cabinet?

6. If you use lots of overdrive I think they should cut through (think Lemmy) - in fact, they should be ***** loud with a 1000 watts. But don't expect deep bass.
    metal guitars are generally mid-scooped between 600-900hz so that should give some space for nice crunchy bass mids to come through (I've found when mixing recorded music) -- maybe the same will apply in loud band setting. Maybe Cut at 300-400 so as to not compete with the mud/"guitar-chunk" zone.

7. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm sorry...i just reread what i posted...i meant the 2x10 on top of the 2x12. i don't play metal...mostly really loud rock. how much volume do you think i'd lose going from a peavey 8x10 to an avatar 2x10/2x12 setup.

(i have an mia jazz, qsc rmx 850, and an svp pro)

8. on paper, the emminence drivers have a higher efficiency than the standard peaveys. you may not loose any volume. Also, the B212 comes in two flavours. The kappa 12's should be very loud (at the expense of low bass).
    Falls into the bass response vs efficiency tradeoff.

9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Your setup is similar to mine. I'm using a SVP-Pro and Crest V900 with the Avatar/Peavey. I haven't ever owned an 8x10 but my feeling is that the 2x12 + 2x10 rig wouldn't be as loud. You'd have a lot more surface area with all those 10s plus a few more watts to drive it in bridged mode. The low bass would probably be comparable or maybe better with the 2x12 but the mids wouldn't compare. To me it seems like its the mids that translate into volume and really cut through. Still, the 2x12 + 2x10 is a versatile and portable alternative. That's why I went with it. For smaller gigs I'll just take the 212, and for practices I just take the 210. Maybe a 2x12 + 4x10 is the ticket for you. The Avatar 4x10 is only $120 more than the 2x10. But then the issue becomes whether you have enough power to drive it.

10. How would (all avatar) a 212 under a 410 sound?

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how do you think the 212 will do with my 215 212?
    so that would be 215 and 412. wow. i need that. and then add my 412 bass cab i am making.:eek: :bassist: