1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Feb 17, 2008.

1. My current rig is Fender Jazz with flats into Ampeg SVT classic into two Avatar b410 cabs. I can get some decent tones with this rig, but as far as the avatar cabs are concerned, they run on the treble side. I find myself trying to tame the highs of these cabs. I always keep the tweeter down and was wondering if anyone out there had any advice on possibly removing the tweeter and perhaps even replacing the crossover. I'm looking for a more vintage tone, I love the speakers and the response of these cabs. But i'm just wondering if i can get a more vintage tone by removing the tweeter and replacing the crossover, any thoughts?

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I just leave the tweeter completely off on mine. I have seen a mod that replaces the tweeter with a cone driver.Hopefully someone can remind us of that one.Might be interesting.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have an Avatar B210neo that I really like. However, it didn't work well with my Ampeg V4. I think with the tube amp you need a different cab. I picked up an Ampeg SVT15E for the V4 and that combination sounds good.

4. Does anyone happen to have a diagram or know the best way to completely remove the crossover and tweeter from a avatar b410? I want to try having no crossover or tweeter at all but really dont know the best way to go about it. Also, would this change the ohms or wattage or anything?

5. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    Just disconnect the tweeter, or turn it off. The 10"s are probably run wide open with no crossover. Leave the tweeter in the cab so you don't have to seal the hole.

6. There is in fact a crossover. Its attached to the jack plate on the back of the amp tho and im thinking i might have to replace the jack plate and wire up a connector from the speakers directly. Anyone know where to get a plain speakon jack plate for a avatar?

7. bump.

I'm seriously considering removing the crossover all together and disconnecting the tweeter, but leaving it in the cab cause i dont want a big hole in the middle of the cab. i'm guessing that by only having the speakers hooked up, this will yield a more vintage sound. However, i have no idea how to go about doing this or what consequences may happen/how to wire this configuration up. Any thoughts?

8. El Whappo

El Whappo Keepin' it Weird

Sep 28, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have an SVT-CL and a B410 and I never could get a tone that I liked using these two no matter how I EQed. I think this amp and cab combo just don't compliment each other very well. The Avatar 410 sounds great with all my SS amps though. The best tone I've gotten with the SVT-CL is using a Schroeder 21012 and 2 Aguilar GS112's. Highly recommend this combination if you can swing it.

9. I understand the crossover frequency on the B410 Neo is 3900 Hz. Disabling the tweeter is only going to remove the very high end clank and hiss, not the treble.

My measurements of the B410 Neo show a very flat response up to 2000 Hz, then a hole where the woofer rolls off, and the tweeter fails to cover.

IMO, the smooth high end of the woofer is what you are calling 'treble' and it won't go away with crossover changes. Use a 31-band EQ if you want to dim down the highs.

10. Call Dave at Avatar. I had a question about running my cabs with the tweeter all the way down and he was REALLY helpful and knowledgeable. He walked me through the best way to disconnect the tweeter and helped me understand the way the whole speaker works. He is the best speaker/cab guy I have ever dealt with.

Just my .02

CB

11. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    x2

I've emailed him on a couple occasions, and every time, he responded quickly and was very helpful.