1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thatbasskid597, May 4, 2010.

1. Hey all,
    I was looking into Avatar's cabs and was trying to decide whether the 4x10 or the 2x12 would better suit my needs. Either way I would get the Line-X coating, Delta LF's, and it would be in 4ohms. The cab would be used as a standalone with a Hartke LH1000 for power. I prefer a more bassy tone with a strong, powerful low end, punchy mids and smooth highs that really sits well and cuts through the mix. I've heard that the 4x10 is a little more "modern" sounding, and was looking for something with little more old-school thump, so I was kinda leaning more towards the 2x12. So any help or insight would be appreciated! :bassist:

2. I have been thinking about these two cabs too. 4ohm as a stand alone. I using an Eden wtx500. I want punch and good lows that is bigger and louder than my 210 now. I know either will fit that bill but more opinions would be great.

3. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I have the B212 (Neo, 8-ohm) and it's a great cab; it's got thump for days and it's not particularly power-hungry. It's darn loud with my Shuttle 6.0 set halfway up. I keep the tweeter control at about the 10 o'clock position. I honestly haven't experimented w/it too much. I set there and left it that way. With the DeltaLF's power handling goes up to 1Kw. I don't know the difference in sound b/t the Neo and LF speakers, nor have I used the 410. I'm thinking about adding a B210 for a little more "punch." Depending on your bass, style and amp settings, the B212 can be a little boomy. But that can be tailored/shaped to a degree, of course. I get great classic rock, 60's/70's R&B and reggae tones out of it. I can't slap to save my life but what little I've tried to do sounded OK...nothing stellar but nothing bad either.

I also own an Avatar guitar cab and can say that I'm very happy with Avatar's products. Best bang for the cab buck, anywhere, IMO.

Side note: Their packing jobs are better than any OEM I've seen. They use about 20 pounds of heavy cardboard to make corner protectors and surround the cab with the stuff. You'll need a forklift to move the box, but your cab will be in great shape!

4. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I have both the B410 and B212. they are great cabinets! However, My B212 was originally an 8ohm model with NEO speakers, but I chose to switch to ceramics for the reason you mentioned. I also was seeking more of an old school sound, and by switching to ceramics with a 4ohm x-over the cab is now a 1000w cab that is more suited to my tastes. The B410 is very nice and it has NEO speakers as you cannot get 10" ceramics from avatar, but don't let this deter you. The 410 puts out TONS of bottom end, and its also rated at 1000 watts with either a 4 or 8 ohm x-over. I got this rig for outdoor gigs and with a B1500 at 2 ohms it kills. for smaller gigs (which are the majority of my shows) I can use either cab, but I like the 410 more ( I play mostly blues rock with a J-bass and flats)
    As a side note let me say that whatever cab you decide on Avatars take time to break in. I had a 410 a few years ago that I bought new from Dave, and after about 3 or 4 gigs it started to get louder and bigger sounding while we were playing! It was actually kinda funny as my guitarist at the time kept looking at me while we were playing, and between songs he asks me if I was turning up. It was getting noticeably louder and fatter as the night went on. I sold that cab and just got another one a few weeks ago so now both of my cab are still breaking in, but I know they will only sound better with time.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I agree w/ Rocky. For what you are looking for, go w/ the 410 in LineX.

6. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    I'm also very interested in Avatar's stuff. Anybody have any experience with a Neo 2x12 + Neo 2x10 rig?

I would be running them at 2 ohms with a Mesa 400+.

7. Thanks a ton guys!
    -But Rocky, do you think that the LF's would compare to the ceramic's? I'm not really intrtested in changing speakers, just more of a buy and go type of thing..

-MikeD, how do you like your Shuttle 6? I was also looking into that one as well as the Hartke, but wasn't sure how the tone would compare?

8. I've played gigs with the B212 and B410, it's really kind of a toss up if you ask me. They are both excellent sounding cabinets with plenty of deep low end and lower midrange punch. The tweeter helps round out the highs.

9. That pretty much sums it up for me, thanks! :D

10. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    The B212 is available with NEO or ceramic speakers from Avatar. Just ask for them when you order your cabinet. The NEOs have a more modern sound to my ears, and the cabinet will be rated at 500 watts with these as they are 250 watts per speaker. The ceramics bring the cabinets rating to 1000 watts as they are rated at 500 watts per speaker. I found the ceramics to be way more to my liking for that deeper old school tone. They do weigh more, but its not that much of a difference, and I really prefer the tone and power handling capability of the ceramics.

11. I own a 212 Neo and really dig it. I've never tried the 410. and I can't speak to how the ceramics sound vs the Neo either. But, a while back when I was looking for a 2nd cabinet I called Avatar for a recommendation asking which had more bass, the 410 or the 212? Dave told me the 212 did. An SWR Big Ben landed in my lap for a $100 so I never got the 2nd 212. I run my Classic 400 w the Big Ben and the Neo 212 and it sounds awesome. I've used the Neo as a stand alone too and it sounds pretty darn good. 12s are awesome in my book...lots of hefty non woofy thump and lots of clarity

12. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I run the 212 Neo as a standalone 4 ohm cab and I'm extremely happy with it. Like the OP, I shoot for more of an old school vibe. Can't speak for the 410 or ceramics and as usual mileage may vary. My guess is for the money you can't really go wrong with either cab, but Dave at Avatar is a helpful guy and I'd trust his recommendation on this.

13. Thanks everyone, you really helped out! Looks like the 2x12, will be a better fit.

14. Thanks everyone from here too. I now am certain that I am going with a 410 in 4 ohms for a stand alone cab.

15. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I like my B410 better than my B212 as a stand alone also.

16. Kmose

Kmose

Feb 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Lakland, Aguilar
    My 4ohm 4x10 neo is a great stand alone cabinet. It sounds great with my LMIII and has more than enough umph for any club gig. I haven't tried the 2x12, but my guess would be that the 4x10 would put out more volume. I had a funny buzzing from the cabinet that was easily fixed by plugging the unused 1/4" inputs on the back with foam ear plugs.

17. fdask

fdask

May 20, 2009
    Toronto
    I have the Neo 212 and Neo 210 right now. Really dig the combo. Both of mine are 8 ohm, and I run them with a GK 700RB.

You may want to check the Avatar thread to get some more peoples opinions. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542084

18. mikepaulhamus

mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    I have the neo cabs and just purchased the new b410 avatar cab loaded with celestion bl-200s man this cab sounds awesome and handles the bass great, I am running an ampeg svt vr head with it all tube and can't beat the sound acutally has better tone than the neo's

19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I have the B410 with the Delta speakers 4ohm that I use with a GK 400RB its a great rig and I can still go bigger on the amp,thnking about a GK Fusion 800...:bassist:

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    While I realize that the OP on this thread was some three and a half years ago, and I really don't recall whether the Avatar TB153 was on the market yet at that point, I can't see how anyone who's seriously interested in an Avatar cab now could possibly overlook the TB153 - unless he/she were already locked into the traditional "4x10 vs. 2x12" paradigm, and simply operating on auto-pilot. The TB153 has gotta be the best bass cab that Dave makes - by far.

MM