Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Feb 2, 2003.

1. How does this cab rate with the b115? Just a smaller cab, are they the same speakers inside or is it just the difference in cab size? Personally I'd like it as small and as loud as I can get it.

How would it sound as a stand alone with one of the cheapo hartke 1400-2000 model heads? Or would the SWR 2004 be better? How loud would this setup get?

2. Sound is an opininon, I use a Hartke3500, and I love my tone...IMO that setup would sound alright, your highs would be less defined than if you got a 15 with a horn, or put a 2x10 or something on top...I don't really like the Workingman's series of SWR...Just my preference...I think the Hartke controls like that of the 3500,5000,and 7000 is more than enough tone shaping than I need...Some like it some don't...TEHO...

1 for Hartke...

3. or do you think the b112 would be better? Would the 12 handle a low B better than a 2x10? It'd certainly sound punchier than a 15. Do you think 450 watts is enough handling power for a low B in smaller shows? I most likely won't be using a low B, but if I ever do, I want an amp that I can add to/not get rid of/ or just leave it be. I string my 5 string with a high C and play a lot of upper register stuff... As a standalone unit, which one will sound better in your opinion? I just don't have much to spend to begin with but I want something that can actually project for an auditorium... It's amazing what a Fender 15" combo did for one bassist at a show I recently went to. Funky stuff, and had a lot of projection, and i don't even think it was a bassman series... It was 200 watts I believe...

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The B115 and C15 have the same speaker...the compact cabinet is tuned higher and will have less low end.

I have a B112 and C15 and they sound amazing together...much better than either one by itself.

The C15 lacks crisp highs because it doesn't have a tweeter. If a slightly larger cabinet doesn't bother you and you want crispness and low end beef, try the B115T...it has the same tweeter as the B112.

The B112 sounds nice by itself but it's not a cabinet for low B...it too is tuned kind of high. Keep in mind that my experience is with the now "classic" version with rear ports. I understand that the newer cabs will be front ported.

Do a search for Avatar as there are plenty of threads out there on these three cabinets.