Avatar cab configuration help please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drd07, Apr 8, 2003.

1. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Any help would be appreciated! I've been playing through an avatar b115h with a fender bassman 300 head (tube monster:) using a 5 string thunderbird. It sounds great, but doesn't have enough volume. The head is really powerful and I just can't get the most out of it without making the speaker go funny.

I picked up an avatar 210 to add to my rig. However, It is WAY TOO MUCH! The rig is almost as tall as me now. I was thinking of downsizing. It's too much for transporting and too enormous for the size of the gigs that I'm playing (clubs/bars 4-5 times/month).

My plan is to purchase another 210 so I would have 2 210s. It would be easier to transport and I could separate them if needed for practice. Is this a good idea? Can the avatar 210's (actually 410) handle a 5 string? Advice?

Possible b115h going on sale soon...
  2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Ummm....maybe set the 2x10 on end next to the 1x15/Amp........but actually, having a somewhat tall rig is not a bad thing at all, it'll help you hear it both up close AND further away; speakers firing at your ankles is not the best set up.
  3. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks Bruce, but it still is a transport issue. I have a hatchback. The stack is still just a little too much. If the cabs were a little smaller, I would keep it set up the way it is. I saw a post on TB of a guy who had the same setup as I, but with 2001 or 2002 cabinets. They were shorter and smaller then.

The 2 210's stacked on top of each other get pretty high, but reasonable. Do you think they can handle the 5 string?
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    4x10's is better suited to 4 string than 5 IMO.

A 15 with a 2x10 is an awsome 5 string configuration. That's what I use most of the time and my 15 cab is pretty much the same size as the 2x10. Maybe you could offload the big 15 and replace it with a more reasonable sized cab.
  5. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks Petebass, but I love the avatar stuff for the price. I don't want to shell out the extra dough. Most of the time, the lowest I set my fifth string is to c#. I usually use my fifth string for drop tunings, while leaving the rest of my strings tuned EADG. I think I'm going to go with the 2 210's. Avatar stuff is cheap and great.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    a 2x10 + a 115 = too much?!?!

HELL NO IT ISN'T!!! enjoy your buttmoving, gut shaking lows, dude :)
  7. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I have an Avatar 2x10 and 1x15, and they fit just fine in my '71 VW Beetle.

Maybe you need to take out a seat or two :D
  8. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    and with a bassman300 like you have, you might want a 15"(or two) in your rig. I think that head is very similar to old sunn heads, which had matching 215 cabs.
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    How does the speaker go funny?
  10. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    get a trailer!! keep the 15 just cause it's cool to have a huge rig that blows em all away!;) :cool: :D
  11. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    When I said the speaker goes funny, I mean it started farting out. The bassman 300 puts out a LOT of bass. I can't turn the bass knob up too high or I'll damage my gonads from the vibrations. Right now, even with the bass turned down, I can't raise the master volume above a 3 or 4 at max. While the channel volume is at about a 6-8.

I've got an Acura Integra. Occasionally a ladyfriend in the passenger seat. I can fold down the back seats, but even right now, the 1x15 takes up a lot of room. I don't know how cjgallan fits the rig in the back of a beetle!

Do any of you fivers play 10's?
  12. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Is it really loud when it starts farting out? I'm thinking about adding another cab to my Avatar 2x10, probably going to get another Avatar, and trying to decide whether the 1x15 or the 2x12 would work better for me.
  13. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Yeah, the amp puts out a lot of power for just one cab. I have a fender studio bass amp head that puts out about 150watts and had no trouble with it. However, my bassman 300 is a fookin monster. It depends on what head you have driving the cab. However, in a 2 cab configuration, I'm positive that the b115 will rock. I'm planning on selling my 1x15 when my other 2x10 arrives.
  14. Well...What ya gotta do is...find your trusty friend Jaques Strahp or a Cheerleader...And you'll be FINE:D BTW, I've played My 5 string(fairly inexpensive[Ie.I like it, some don't)...and another 5 string(Peavey Dynabass Active), through my hartke 3500 and an SHS Audio Diamond 4x10...It rocked the house!

:D In BASS:bassist:

15. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for the jaques strpps tip. hhmmm...gotta keep that one in mind when I play my gig Sat night :) Well, it will be my last show with a solo 15". Next weekends gig will have the 410's! Can't wait!
  16. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I just got an Avatar 210 to add to my Ampeg 15 and it sounds great. The one thing that I have a problem with is the horn. For anyone who has a Avatar cab with a horn, do u get loud hissing when the horn volume is above 1/3 and your amp is at a high volume? I've had to turn the volume on the horn to almost nothing just becaseu the hiss is so annoying. Is it a defective horn or is that normal?