Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rathervague, Dec 14, 2004.

1. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Should I get a 4 or 8 ohm speaker cab to be powered by a Carvin CP900 power amp and a Sansamp RBI? Thanks.

2. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Anyone know anything about this power amp? I just need to know what ohm cab I should get.

3. lol, i'm looking at exact same set up. :bassist:

i'll be following this thread.

4. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Could anyone answer this for me please?

5. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    wow, thats short money for that amp from their site. seems like it can run bridged at 4ohm, and not bridged at 2ohm. i always think that you can get more volume from 2 cabs that are 8 ohm, rather than one cab that is 4 ohm...even though the amp technically gives out so many watts at 4 ohms total in either scenario. get the 8 ohm cab if you think you might want to get another cab in future (which is what most people end up doing); if you really think you will only be buying one cabinet, get the 4 ohm since this amp can dish it out. hope that helps.

6. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    ive thought bout it s'more. get the 4 ohm with that amp.

7. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    What's the reason for the 4 ohm?

8. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Ok, I just looked at it again and realized that it can be used at 2ohms bridged. Alright. I'm getting the 4 ohm, thanks.

9. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Call Dave at Avatar.

He'll steer you in the right direction.

10. With a 4 ohm you do not have much room for expansion. I bought the 4 ohm model and wish now I had bought an 8 ohm. I am told you will not hear much difference in volume using an 8 ohm vs. a 4 ohm. My recommendation, buy an 8 ohm cab so you can expand if needed. The more speaker area you have the more air you push.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, it CANNOT be used at 2 ohms bridged. The minimum bridged load is 4 ohms, which is equivalent to having a 2 ohm load *on each channel*.

If the amp puts out 300 W/side at 4 ohms/side, then it should put out about 600 W when bridged into an 8 ohm load.

Personally, I'd play it safe and get an efficient 8 ohm cab, so as not to run the amp too close to its limits. Remember, 600 W into an efficient 8 ohm cab will give you more volume than 900 into an inefficient 4 ohm one. You can always consider getting a second 8 ohm cab later if you need more volume or a bigger sound.

12. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You're misreading it. Unless it specifically says "bridged," the ratings are per side, because this is a stereo amp.

200 W/side at 8 ohms (if you hook up two 8 ohm cabs, one to each side, each one gets 200 watts, meaning you've got 400 available)
    300 W/side at 4 ohms
    450 W/side at 2 ohms

900 W bridged into 4 ohms (the amp now has basically one output stream, not two, and if you put a 4 ohm load on it you have 900 W available).

Since, as I said, bridging into 4 ohms is essentially equivalent to running each side of the amp at 2 ohms, the 4 ohm bridged rating is twice that of the 2 ohm/side rating (2 x 450 = 900). Bridging into 8 ohms is like running each side at 4 ohms. Hence, the 8 ohm bridged rating should be about twice the 4 ohm/side rating (2 x 300 = 600).

I agree that the specs could have been listed a tad more clearly. The specs on the DCM amps, for example, are much more voluminous and clear.

14. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    But I can for sure run 8 ohms bridged? I suck at this. Sorry for all this confusion.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yep, if you can run at 4 ohms bridged, you can run at 8. Practically, speaking the issue with considering loads on the amp is how *low* you can safely go, not how high.

As I said, if you get 900 W into 4 ohms bridged, you'll probably get about 600 into 8 ohms bridged. With a reasonably efficient cab, you should have enough volume for a lot of situations. And again, you can always add another cab later.

16. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Awesome. Thanks for the clarifications. I purchased the 8ohm from dave.