1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John Deacon, Mar 17, 2009.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    What does the knob do on the back of a 410 Avatar?

2. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    adjusts the tweeter

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    note to you, never turn it all the way off.

4. ^how come?

5. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Avatar has stated in the past that the drivers MAY fail from excessive heat when the tweeter is all the way off. I don't own one, but when I was looking for speakers I read that in a review. YMMV

6. Just a quick correction...............

It is NOT the drivers (speakers) that may fail.

It is the crossover itself that may fail due to too much heat trying to burn off if the tweeter is turned completely off.

7. i'm looking into buying a couple avatar cabs, and i generally hate tweeters.

my best bet would be to disconnect it internally then, to avoid damaging the crossover?

8. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    What is a tweeter exactly? Like how is it gonna affect anything?

And I'm getting a static sound if I'm playing my bass while messing with the mid knob on my head. Is it just dust?

9. the engine

the engine Guest

The tweeter is there for high frequencies. Just take the advice of the others and set it about mid-way and leave it alone. As for the static,your head (not the one on your shoulders) probably needs a good cleaning. If you are good at tech stuff, open it up and shoot it with some contact cleaner. If that sounds like rocket surgery to you, take it to "the guy". Good luck!

10. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    High frequencies?

Like, does it affect my tone at all? Thanks for all the answers by the way guys, I really appreciate it!

I feel bad though. I always ask for help from you guys, but I don't know squat about electronics. So, I can't help you guys.

11. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia

12. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    yes it affects your tone. it will have more treble, like a more sharp tone. try it out.

13. Yes it affects your tone. The high end becomes more clear, adds a bit of clang, trebley, if you will.

Do yourself a favor and play a bass line with it off, then add it in half way playing the same line, and then full on. You should notice the difference coming through, make sure to play all over the register of the bass.

Your bass produces high frequencies, especially if you have your tone knob all the way open, in my experience. I prefer to play with the crossover close to off, but I like a thick tone. Experiement, you will definitely see the difference.

14. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Ah, ok. So it should never be totally off?

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Simply turn it 'almost' all the way off. Your ears will not know the difference.

16. It rotates.

Randy

17. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i like my sealed, tweeterless cabinet :] doesn't make a huge difference, with out the tweeter.

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    oh damn, i never knew that about my Avatar... I like having my tweeter off...Fuzz sounds like CRAP with tweeters...

19. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Damn i didnt know it could damage the cross over either. I had it off during a 5-6 hour jam session and was playing pretty loud. Sounds the same to me, how do you know of the crossover is damaged?

20. You know. Trust me. It sounds crackley, and metallic. A blown speaker and/or tweeter are very distinct sound that you would know, and if you don't, you have never experienced one.