Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dsmith, Aug 12, 2002.

1. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    New cabs arrived this weekend, and here is a review of the Avatar 410B and 115B.

Pre-Amp
    Line 6 Bass Pod Pro

Power Amp
    Crest LT-2000 run in Stereo 560 Watts per channel

My main concern with these cabs was not being able to play on them before purchasing them. After talking with Dave at Avatar, he assured me I would have 14 days to send them back after they arrived.

Cabs were packed very well, and arrived in perfect condition. Decided to give the 410 a test run by itself and see how it handled the low B. NO PROBLEM! Cab has a very tight sound, with lots of punch and volume. Don't have the specs on the cab, but this cab will handle anything my Hartke 410XL rig will handle. After adding the 115B under the 410, I don't think I have to worry about the 14 day return policy. I don't think I could spend 5-600 on a 410 cab and get a better sound for the money. I have more than enough headroom, and the cabs seem very responsive. Did I mention they were LOUD:D Neighbors hate them already;)

I had to sell my Hartke rig about 9 months ago, and back problems have kept me off stage for nearly a year. I almost bought another Hartke system, but I think I made a good move with these cabs. Speaking of back problems, these cabs are light compared to other 410 and 115 cabs. And did I mention they are built better than anything else I have owned! Very solid cabs, I am sure that eden and swr cabs are nice, but for the bucks the Avatars can't be beat.

For those who might be interested, these cabs sound very much in the line of Hartke and Fender 410 Bassman cab. I have owned both of these and I think I will stay with the Avatars.

Only thing to add to this rig will be a crossover in the very near future, and possibly a power conditioner. Anybody have suggestions of Crossovers? I have a Rane AC23 for my mains, but would like to keep the cost down.

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    thanks for the review...I've got the 410, also very happy with it. For the cost/quality I couldn't believe it either. I've considered adding either another 2x10 or 1x15...what's your take on how much better your sound is with the 15 than without?

thanks and have fun!

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have the B210 and the B115. I first got the B210 and had some concerns about pushing a low B through it at medium-high volume as the B210 really doesn't handle the real low notes that well. Once I got the B115, I no longer have this concern. It rounded out my sound very nicely. I still get the presence of the B210, but I now also get great response for the low notes. BTW, I am powering this with a Hartke 5000.

4. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    The 15 gave the rig little bit more bottom end. The 410 carries the B, but nothing like the both of them together. A crossover will help even more. The two together really move some air, and the volume I can acheive with both of them is amazing, but then again I am running more wattage per channel than I have ran with any other rig. I ran a Hartke 5000 head for about a year, with a 4.5XL, but I never added the 15 cab underneath. I have less $ in both of these cabs than I had in my 4.5, so I am sold on these cabs.

If your going to run the 410/115, buy the biggest power amp you can afford. More watts the better. For the price, I would add the 115, I bought both of them off of ebay, and saved a little bit of cash, you might want to consider doing the same.

What kind of pre-amp/crossover are you running?

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm running it with a Carvin R1000...which puts out 700 in the one cab, but I could do 1000 if I had a 4 ohm load, hence why I am considering upgrading with either a 2x10 or 1x15.
    Appreciate the advice, I think I am looking more seriously at the 1x15 because from what all you Avatar b115 owners keep saying about it adding a lot to your set-up.
    (finding the cash to do it is another story!)

thanks!

6. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    i have a hartke HA3500 putting out 350 watts at 4 ohms and i was just wondering which avatar cab you would recomend for me. i was thinking of getting the 410 and tehn adding a 115 and a poweramp once i start doing a little more gigging like maybe more than none :p

thanks for your input

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm glad to hear how these cabs stack up against the hartke cabs. i have a hartke 4x10xl underneath my eden metro and was thinking about getting a bigger rig...i may have to check into the avatar thingy...sounds pretty yummy.